Lithium | Successful Farming
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Go back land

Urban decay to be replaced with farmland in Detroit

• Hantz1.jpg

A vacant area in the east end of Detroit being cleared out of debris to make way for an upcoming tree farm. (Hantz Woodlands)

• Hantz2.jpg

A vacant lot in the east end of Detroit cleared of debris and ready for tree planting. (Hantz Woodlands)

Bankrupt and hemorrhaging population, the city of Detroit is banking on greener pastures to lead its rebirth.

A private company is snapping up 150 acres on the Motor City's East End -- property where more than 1,000 homes once formed a gritty neighborhood -- and turning it into what is being billed as the world's largest urban farm. Hantz Woodlands plans to start by planting trees, but hopes to raise crops and even livestock in the future, right in the midst of the once-proud city.

“We are interested with moving into different types of agriculture,” Mike Score, president of Hantz, told FoxNews.com.

“Your eyes would have a hard time absorbing the blight.”

- Mike Score, Hantz Woodlands

Hantz needed approval from Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder to buy up the 1,500 parcels for approximately $450,000, or $300 per parcel. Many of the parcels held dilapidated and abandoned homes and buildings and were condemned by the city. Others were rubble-strewn or weed-choked lots. The company intends to spend $3 million to clean out the areas.

Advisor

What??

150 acres @ $ 450K and $3M to clear....that's $ 3,450,000.00 for $150 acre tree farm that will eventually have crops and cattle?   That's $ 23,000/acre ground right there.....looks like a winner to me.    My guess is there is a bunch of Obama Green Bucks being shelled out to this fraudulent venture.  Follow the Money on this one.....GUARANTEE there is an Obama or Democrat Fundraiser or Operative behind this sham.   What a joke.

Senior Advisor

Re: What??

What joke, if it's on the internet it has to be true, and I'm sure it made the paper. That's worth a few votes.
Honored Advisor

Re: What??

Sounds like a government program coupled with a federal grant.   Probably a friend of a senator or contributor to recycle it back.

Advisor

Now the Real Motive Comes out

A Production Company is going to produce a Reality TV show about the project.   IN other words, the entire project is intended to make Hantz and the President into Reality TV stars.   Mark my words, the TV contract is worth way more than the purchase price for this sham tree project in the middle of this Detroit Hell Hole.  

Case closed.

Veteran Contributor

Re: Go back land

3.45M divided by only 150 acres is 23,000 an acre something's not right with that math.  It will be a long time before there will be any trees harvested.

Advisor

Looks like they are rearranging debris, not clearing it

Senior Contributor

I've been hearing about his for several years.  We have family that lives in Michigan.  Hes old enough to remember the glory days of Detroit.  He told me this year back that this was in the plan.   Detroit already is tearing out large tracts of abandon city and tearing out the infrastructure.   I wouldn't be surprised if the developer gets the land for nothing.  Urbran farming is going to be a big thing in my opinion in cities like Detroit, or other cities that have "inner city decay".  The tree farm might not be the best idea, but vegetable farming, hay, dairy type of farming, all these places are what some call "food deserts" where good readily available food isn't there.   

I know that crime is very bad in places like Detroit, but they need a lifestyle change, if you can give someone a packet of seed and let them dig in the dirt awhile and let them have a chance at working at something there is a chance that someone might change their mind on crime and drugs.   

Most people just need a chance, and a lot of these high crime areas have been forgotten about, simply because it was cheaper to ignore the problem.   

Urban farming,,give it a chance.   

Honored Advisor

It has always had a chance.   But I fear that this is just a new tag line for federal deficit spending.  Just a newer, expanded form of crime.

Senior Advisor

One thing farmers fail to recognize is the value of those acres simply by the proximity to the urban center. In our city, tulsa, it is not unusual for a vacant lot to sell for $50K and that being 1/3rd of an acre or less. Half acres and full acres are somewhat more.

If these blighted acres are cleaned up it may well invite building and expansion in those areas. I know this that there will be very little investment going into a blighted area. Clean up the mess and if there is any opportunity for recovery, they will have a better chance.