Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

'Greatest opportunity in production agriculture'

Was just checking in on things over in Farmersforthefuture.com, and a farmer there started a discussion entitled "2011 the year for the greatest opportunity in production agriculture!" Basically, he's running a few of the numbers based on current grain prices and quantifying some of the extra income potential there is out there. Here's more of what he says:

_____

"All those little cultural practices that can produce an extra 5 to 10% better yields should be implemented. 15 bushel an acre increase in corn yield at $6 is an extra $90...x 100 acres  is an extra $9,000...so 500 acres of corn is an extra 45,000$. we better all remember this going into this crop year."

_____ 

So, are you doing what he says -- implementing "all those little cultural practices" to get the most out of everything? Is he about right? 

Hope everybody's looking forward to this thaw we have coming. I took my gals to Florida earlier this week -- was 89 degrees where we were on Monday. The day before, when it was in the upper 50s and lower 60s, you should have seen everybody bundling up -- I thought I was seeing JR out milkin' about half a dozen times! You don't have a "jrsFLjdranch," do you?!

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
-----------------------------------------------
Advisor
jrsiajdranch

Re: 'Greatest opportunity in production agriculture'

No way would I milk cows in the south especially Florida. They have the screwiest milk pricing formula in the States! besides I would spend to much time at the beach lookin at the UHMMM "scenery"!:smileyvery-happy:

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

BTW got distracted thinkin about milkers in Florida but the less expeienced among us need to realize that the best laid plans can deteriorate into a nightmare very quickly. I am thinking that this year is a good year to stay with tried and true. Don't go looking for a homerun as it might turn into a three strike at bat! This applies to marketing as well as production. 

Veteran Contributor
redrotor

"All those little cultural practices that can produce an extra 5 to 10% better yields should be implemented. 15 bushel an acre increase in corn yield at $6 is an extra $90...x 100 acres  is an extra $9,000...so 500 acres of corn is an extra 45,000$. we better all remember this going into this crop year."

_____ I think this is a "no brainer" since the $$ is there to pay for it. But those last 15 bu. are not guarenteed and how do I get $6 for the last  bu?   If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. 

Senior Contributor
GoredHusker

Mother Nature has a way of humbling us all.  If it was as easy as adding those little cultural practices, we'd continually break the national average record every year as better seeds and better technology move forward.  Maybe I'm just different, but I strive for maximum production every year not just when corn is six bucks.   

Senior Contributor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

I think that this topic is more relevant to Farm Business or Crop Talk, but to answer directly, no, I don't implement all those little cultural practices because many of them are simply not profitable.  Do you spray fungicide?  Do you use an innoculant?  Do you be careful to avoid tank mixes of insecticides and herbicides?  How about setting up tram lines and lanes to prevent compaction?  Do we scout every field and only spray if at the economic threshhold?

Much of this stuff is good to talk about and even good to attempt, but it has to be done with moderation and with an eye on the bottom line.  Many cultural practices are discussed in isolation but farming is an wholistic enterprise.

Over time, most of us understand that yield is important.  That is one reason why specialty growers are always fighting an uphill battle - too often, the yield drag doesn't get covered by the price, especially when you figure you're artificially debasing your proven yield history.  Still, yield can't be at the expense of profits.  Otherwise, we'd all put on 300 lbs of N and look for 400 bu corn.

Advisor
nwobcw

In order to grab those last few bushels with all the extra inputs mother nature has to cooperate from Aptil 15 - Sep 15.  I always strive for highest reasonable yields. Why would this year be any different.