Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
Palouser

Hahaha! Heyday over?

I hope the 'analyst/trader' finds an answer to his question :semi-weekly:

What changed for corn? Nothing changed for corn. Corn was in a steady weather trend that shows no sign of changing soon. A trend is a trend util something changes it. What changed was the bright light that knocked traders off their 'donkeys' and they suddenly became BELIEVERS !!!! Hallelujah !!!!! Praise the Lord !!!!  And we all know how tiresome the thoughts of a recent convert can be when they see the light - at least until they see another. "I was blind but now I see !"  Yeah. OK. But not so loud.

We really are so lucky that new believers are aided by computer trading to underline new revelations by upping the magnitude of the 'wave' exponentially when computer algorithms kick in to provide reinforcement. Even though they (I mean traders, not computers) believed it all along (secretly).

Next topic? Lagging indicators.

Veteran Advisor
Palouser

Re: Hahaha! Heyday over?

Next up. The wheat tour. Just how bad is the freeze damage to wheat? We should finally be getting some objective information soon over  a wide area. Watch for the results in western OK, western and central Ks and maybe even Texas. But some of those areas will probably not be scouted on this tour. Not sure what the routes will be..

And the Delta is about fed up trying to plant corn. I'm assuming beans will be the big winner there.

Veteran Advisor
Palouser

Yeah, I know I'm talking to myself

USDA (not NASS) called me in the tractor today with a survey with only two questions. Somebody must be losing track of production and supplies.

They wanted a prediction of winter wheat yields (hasn't even jointed yet) and how much hay I had on hand. That's it.

Yes, the wheat looks very good (here) but all I could give was a low ball average over the last three years and no hay.

The call came out of D.C.  Very unusual survey with only two questions. I would have to guess that carry over on hay will be about nil in other areas. And I think wheat conditions have them concerned. They have me concerned on a national level.

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

Re: Yeah, I know I'm talking to myself

Yep there is no hay. We got at least 4 weeks till something is ready to chop around here.  That is 3 and half weeks longer than last year.  Only saving grace is chance of more snowballs tomorrow night.

Frequent Contributor
hwr247

Re: Yeah, I know I'm talking to myself

snow on the ground here but slowly melting....have had only one day in the fifties no 60's yet this spring....and looks cold this week highs only 30's low in the teens!...nothing greening yet not enem grass along side of hiways! been farming since the early 70's and cant remember weather so consistently cold....have had years when we had snow after starting fieldwork but it warmed up quickly afterward and got going again but this is a cold one.....