Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Harvest Update

Just talked to my son who lives up by Detroit Lakes, MN.  He says the most of the beans are still in the field up there.  He just got back from a trip to Ada, MN (NE of Fargo) and says that the fields are waterlogged and more or less unharvestable right now.  Saw one IH combine on tracks harvesting beans that were about 9 inches tall.  He said that is pretty much what they have up there this year.  Last year the fields that he rents out did 60+  , hence the earlier picture of the big pile of beans. 

Also said they were out trying to lift sugar beets with quad track machines, and barely moving in the mud.  At one spot he passed, they had a county plow out scraping the mud off of the highway where they are trying to harvest beets. 

He said that he has gotten around 9 inches of rain in the past 3 weeks.  In Minnesota speak, thats an "UF-DAH!"  He said there is snow every day in the forecast for the next week.

Here, corn harvest continues slowly.  Had one farmer come in today - was expecting 10 Semi Loads off of 65 acres.  He brought in just under 8000 bu and the field is done.  You do the math.  Moisture and test weight was good though, at around 20% and 55#.

Jen

Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Re: Harvest Update

Also talked on the way home tonight to the guy who bought my farm. Beans - 9 bu per acre. Corn - he tried it to see what it was - still 43% moisture and plugged the combine screens. Obviously he quit - went back to silage.

Jen
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

One more thing - talked with a farmer as I was leaving the elevator. Had done two fields here by Cannon Falls, mostly on the sands - averaged about 120 per acre.

Jen
Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

Re: Harvest Update from Ontario

Had a drive through a part of Ontario yesterday.

Oxford, Middlesex and Perth county areas with a littl Huron county too.

Many of the beans are off but some soys and even some edibles still out in places.

Almost no corn done and I have been hearing of moisture in excess of 30%.

Not likely going to get as much wheat planted as expected, did see some fields that looked planted but no growth yet but other fields just combined and no evidence of planting.

Now quickly getting late with wet weather forecast for over a week now.

We did some corn, drier bin full and took some corn into an elevator, the only corn they have had so far.

Moisture was 25-27% but fields were dry then, that is no longer true.

Yield should be somewehre above 10t/ha dry.

We were planted early and do not push maturity too much on most of our corn.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Contributor
SmartAg

Wrestler, please post something marketing constructive. Your hurtful comments are not appreciated.

Thank you Jen, for you harvest comments. Sounds like things were pretty tough in your area this year.
Still a lot of soys, dry beans and beets to harvest here, yet. With the wet weather forecast some are switching to corn.
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Well, at least this time you didn't diss the whole of us here on the web. Since you for the most part only come out at night, maybe you should have a vampire theme. Or, I was thinking about what character in the movies is like you. I settled on - from Back To The Future 3 - MAD DOG TANNON, you know, when every time they show him there are flies buzzing around him?

As for my son - he works for a plastics company. He does their international networking and designed, developed, and administers their software that allows the warehouses around the world to communicate with their factories to tell them when stock is running low and so they can restock. One of their largest customers is McDonald's, whom they do all the plastic ware for. He makes in the mid $100,000's somewhere sitting home in his underwear, and occasionally needs to make trips wherever to do updates. He has no debt since he was 34. He wasn't comfortable with the debt, the hours, and the uncertainty that a farm entails. He was young when I lost the farm in '81 - I don't blame him for not wanting to do it.

I have standing offers to drive trucks, combines, tractors this fall. I chose this instead.

Mad Dog. I like that - and it goes along with my ESABATM comment from the other day. Go swat some flies and ESABATM.

Jen
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

Ignore him, lucky he's not my neighbor.
Senior Advisor
ECIN

[ Edited ]

Dang - like I have always said - i think you can learn something on here dang near everyday - todays lesson ? I had to goggle up  " ESABATM "  - I had the ESA figured out - But had not heard the bark at the moon part before - Must be a Northern thing - Down here - we just keep it simple with -- ESAD - :smileyhappy:

Thanks Jen !  :smileyhappy:

And Now back to harvest update from East Central Indiana -- Friday night - raped up harvest here - corn was the best I had ever shell on this farm or farms -- beans - just average to below - around 52 to 53 will cover mine - early beans ( planted May 1 threw 5 or 6 made in the 70's -- BTW -- I did not have any early beans - as the date got later - the beans droped 15 to 20 bpa - ( May 15 on )

Got all the caps put on this morning - got a good strat on the dryer ! Will finish that and mow the yard and weedeat  this afternoon - :smileysad:

Boy you should see my pretty black IH combine - Maybe get that tomorrow -- also a :smileysad:

everybody be safe

Ken

Veteran Advisor
r3020

[ Edited ]

ECIN wrote:

Dang - like I have always said - i think you can learn something on here dang near everyday - todays lesson ? I had to goggle up  " ESABATM "  - I had the ESA figured out - But had not heard the bark at the moon part before - Must be a Northern thing - Down here - we just keep it simple with -- ESAD - :smileyhappy:

Thanks Jen !  :smileyhappy:

And Now back to harvest update from East Central Indiana -- Friday night - raped up harvest here - corn ws the best I had ever shell on this farm or farms -- beans - just average to below - arund 52 to 53 will cover mine - early beans ( planted May 1 threw 5 or 6 made in the 70's -- BTW -- I did not have any early beans - as the date got later - the beans droped 15 to 20 bpa - ( May 15 on )

Got all the caps put on this morning - got a good strat on the dryer ! Will finish that and mow the lard and weedeat  this afternoon - :smileysad:

Boy you should see my pretty black IH combine - Maybe get that tomorrow -- also a :smileysad:

everybody be safe

Ken

Hey Ken. 45 will catch our dang prowl damaged giant ragweed stupid nonGMO beans. Have made a lot on nonGMO over the years but gave a bunch of it back this year. Just getting a good start on the corn, like you, think it will be the best ever. Unbelievable considering the dry July/August weather. Hybrids of today are just amazing. Taking today off, the Lords day and we have much to be thankful for. Don't clean the combine too quick incase you run into a neighbor in need.

extremism: Spending dollars yet to be earned by children yet to be born.

The country will heal when the people riot to be free of the government not when they riot for the government to give them more for free
Veteran Advisor
Palouser

Did you get a M.A. in Drama? What's with the theatrics? An ego or rage issue?

Spare us and show some normal adult restraint. Most can overlook something that has no bearing on their personal life. It's a necessary skill.