Honored Advisor

Harvest pictures

We're getting  right after it here in Iowa, 

Saw this yesterday, this guy had a project...

20160930_134628-1.jpg

Frequent Contributor

Re: Harvest pictures

Looks like that pic was taken 50 years ago except the size of the soybean field. I never rode a combine without a cab but I remember as a kid my dad and neighbor cutting oatswithout one. Probably like I said 50-55 years ago.I'm 63

Honored Advisor

The rest of what I saw; was a young man on the machine.

Had only made one pass, no spreader.

Other side of what appeared to be a 320 acre field was the large combine that had slightly larger hauling away equipment.

Couple miles north Radar O'REILLY' s home town of Ottumwa, Iowa. Seemed to be just waiting for the big one to come around again.

Most beans we saw appeared to be way above average aph 

Senior Advisor

Was the # on the Deere Hobby ? 55 ? 105 ? lol

Honored Advisor

Veteran Advisor

laugh all you want..............it's paid for

how about yours ???

remember, his cost of production is lower than yours..........and in this economy.........you are the problem, he isn't.

Honored Advisor

You totally misunderstood me, nowhere did I post I thought it was funny.

Wish I'd have turned around, figured how to get into the field and had a visit with him.

Looked like quite a barn find, or his grandfather s.

My mom has a Massey 410 with something like serial # 192 on it in the shed. I wish I could find a home for it somewhere besides the crushers.

You've made some pretty big accusations with no data. They had that out there for some other reason than to speed harvest the machine on the other side of the field could do more in a half hour than the one in the picture was going to get done in a long afternoon..

I thought is was unusual and took a picture.  

My cop is in line with creating a taxable event every year, including this year and next year too. My albatross is the farms out west of you in Graham co I bought a few years ago. Next year maybe the first no profit year out there for me. Renter is insisting on planting wheat after Milo harvest in a few days. 

There is a reason some people have no money. 

Senior Advisor

Gee Wizz elcheapo !   Hobbies post was a good one - He mentioned -- " There geting with it in Iowa was a good start of the post - As in the " Day " that was a main stay manchine - right along with a IH 101 - 303 And then the Gleaners - And yes - I did laugh when I saw it - It was a back to the day laugh - It - as slicker said - a nice walk back threw memory lane - so to speak . 

I'm not NNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR as old as Slicker and Hobby - yet I sure do remember them machines running - And them dam wagons ! lol No wonder my knee's are shot ! Climb up in them to kick out the ear corn then fill the wood cribs - and kick some more - lol 

I guess the key point in Hobbies post was -- he was young !  As for this old dog - I will be glad to have a higher COP than the young guy - My knees couldn't take it any more - lol 

Hobby - Great post ! 

And elcheapo - YOU need to settle down some and QUIT worrying so much on this dam farming ! Today is Sunday - So here's what I want you to do - Get the kids - OR grand kids - grab the poles and go fishing - Or just do something and be happy with what you have around you - the farming deal will work out someway and always has - your worrying will not do one dang thing to help it out -  I have seen first hand around here that doom and gloom can put a young guy like you in a box way to early .

As for me today - I picked up 3 flats of Pansey's yesterday and plan on replanting my circle today  - as soon as this fog lifts - lol  You might even try that - but take breath man !

For you ????? No Charge Smiley Wink

ECI

Honored Advisor

They maybe put "junior" out there to get the hang of things before they turn him loose in the 690s  Smiley Happy   Hard to tell in the picture but that, that`s harvested looks "Bigshot done".   If he was a serious tightwad, he`d probably make a tank extention out of 1x12s then he could make a round before having to unload...or maybe a graincart chases him and he unloads on the go   Smiley Happy

But it`s really neat that they keep it shedded and in working order.

Highlighted
Contributor

Hobby, that post brings back memories. In 1976, when I was 23, Dad and I bought a 64 model JD 55 with 13 ft rigid table and no cab. Got it at Stilesville, Indiana implement auction, $2600. We split the front rims and widened them to accomadate 28L26 firestone rice tires. I found a burned Case combine a few miles away and took the cab from it and adapted to fit on the 55. Had to get the glass cut to fit the frame and installed glass ourselves. First two years we bought and used a 334 corn head, then went to a 434 so we could have more clearance with the 28 inch tires. 3 row only had about 4 inches clearance to the next corn row. Added a floating cutterbar to the grain table and then we quit gouging dirt. For a two wheel drive, Little John would float around pretty well when the ground got soft in those moldboard or chisel plowed fields.   We set up a second 55 just like the first in 1982 when we moved up to 550 acres. Running those old combines for a decade  has sure made us appreciate the current luxury machines we have run the last 20 years.

Our Dad passed in 84 and I have been partners with my younger sister ever since. We often say that any young farmer wannabe should be required to run one of those old combines in the mud so they would fully appreciate the combines that most farmers run nowadays.

Thanks for the pic.