Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

Heavy weather today

Looks like some real nasty stuff headed for the corn belt..... You guys in Iowa and S. Minnesota appear to be getting hammered again.  And that stuff, plus some severe storms are heading east as the day goes on.  Everyone stay safe today.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Re: Heavy weather today

This don't look good .

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

4 tenths last night. takes total for spring to just below enough to float an ark!

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

It's a good thing you are not collecting animals two by two........You couldn't afford to feed them.     :smileywink:

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

I know what you guys are feeling like this morning. Central Kansas was under the bullseye or cross hairs for several days just a couple weeks ago. If your like me, I thought to myself we can deal with the rain, but please spare us the severe stuff (hail & tornado's).
Community Manager
John_Walter

Seen a derecho?

Anyone experiencing a derecho today? Or have you been through one in the past?

Have to wonder if this big system couldn't further hamper field operations and crop development, as well as endanger lives and property.  Today, the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center warned of “widespread damaging winds and a few strong tornadoes” from the middle Mississippi Valley to the Upper Ohio Valley and lower Great Lakes area this afternoon and tonight.

A derecho is a “widespread, long-lived wind storm associated with a band of rapidly moving showers or thurnderstorms,” according to a Derecho NOAA-NWS web page.

Derecho damage is often referred to a “straight-line wind damage," the site says.  The swaths of damage extend more than 240 miles and include winr gusts of at least 58 mph.

Could a derecho flatten two-foot tall corn? 

Thoughts? Thanks, John 

Advisor
c-x-1

Re: Seen a derecho?

it could "blow out" some, maybe have to be a little smaller.

i left you a pm & sent Mike an article. thx

c-x-1

Advisor
rayjenkins

link has pictures of derecho damage in central Iowa event in early July 2011 .....I drove in the area day after the storm, and lots of big corn was flattened...but it recovered nicely.....went from west of Ames all the way to Detroit....

I think the storm hit early morning....

http://www.agweb.com/blog/ag_pictures/?Year=2012&Month=4

Community Manager
John_Walter

Dang it, Ray, I was going to thank you--until I saw the source.

Well, any port in the storm, I guess ;-) 

Hope all's well....

John 

Veteran Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

Here is a description of the Corn Belt derecho of June 29, 1998, which destroyed or damaged every building on my farm.  My children cowered in the storm cellar while I watched the roof blow off of a brand new house. I never want to be near one again.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/jun291998page.htm

Here is a summary, but the article is short and well worth reading:

"In summary, the "Corn Belt Derecho of 1998" traveled more than 600 miles in about ten hours, causing more than $125 million worth of damage. It produced widespread destruction, especially to crops, and was responsible for electrical outages that affected nearly a half million people. "