Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Frequent Contributor
north ia farmer

Here in NIA

we have been getting some nice rains. With weekend forecast hot as hell sunday and a good chance of rain all weekend then a cool down next week is just what we are looking for.Just hope with heat Sunday we don't get that nasty white **bleep**.I have never seen corn look so good this time of year.As of today we are off to a record corn crop in 2012.  

Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Re: Here in NIA

Glad to hear it NIA. Hopefully you guys have a great crop and keep prices low so I can buy grain at a decent price to fill my contracts come fall. We were off to a great start but now things are dry as a bone. We average 36 inches of rain a year here but the past 2 have been drought years.... 127 irrigation pivots have sprung up in my county alone over the warm winter. If things don't improve we will be in drought year #3 soon.

Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

East Central Iowa

I think the bloom is off the rose in EC Iowa.  We have had adequate subsoil moisture, although I don't know today if it is still OK, but it is dry on top and some germination issues ahve arisen as has been reported elsewhere.  Not a lot - but a few BPA.  Maybe it's only in my mind's eye, but to me there is eveidence that herbicides haven't activated as we'd like.  Some tough old weeds are prtty big, even though they are scattered.  Another few BPA.  We have a long way to go, but you don't get those BPA back.  Below trendline?  I didn't say that, but not above it in my opinion.

Lot of hay went up very nicely.

There have been scattered thunderstorms of .1 to .5 inches, so many parts have gotten a sprinkle but very few good rains.  The wind is a factor. 

Frequent Contributor
north ia farmer

Re: Jim

hey Jim we have had are share of wind also. These bone heads that have to turn them sand hills brown every year have a hellva mess out there.I have noticed the same thing the herbicides applied after our last rain just are not working but will see what happens after our rain the last two day's.I have seen a few feilds that were planted early that will be close to knee high by end of next week.If we can keep the rains coming it should be big again in NIA.

Friend
calloway3026987

NIA- I would suggest you speak of your immediate area of north Iowa when you write. There is a LARGE portion of north Iowa that has received less than an inch of rain in the past few weeks, and that kind of rainfall is not going to fill any streets this fall. We don't have the subsoil moisture we did last summer that made our crop, so it's a new ballgame. I'm not being negative, just realistic to our current weather trends.
Veteran Contributor
weedman

Getting really dry in sw wc ia. No rain out of any of the systems so far, maybe Sunday Evening. Crops OK except the ones in dry dirt planted in the last couple of weeks. Check out the 6-10 day.http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/

Frequent Contributor
north ia farmer

REMEMBER I SAID IF WE CAN KEEP THE RAIN COMING.As of today we are off to a record crop and if you don't want to believe it take a 20mph tour or stop and take a walk though the NIA fields.

Veteran Contributor
kyu2852570

Things looking perfect here in central neb. Been catching some rains just enough to get us by. Sprayed a field early this morning before the wind and heat, corn about knee high every kernel came up and nothing drowned out yet. Temp has been 25+ degrees above normal for many many days sometime it's gonna average out and be that much below normal, could be July if so look out with some rain there's gonna be more corn than ever! If not $8 + here we come what's gamble huh
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

weedman: I am also in sw/wc Ioway. Got 1/2 inch Thurs and another nice shower yesterday. NOT muddy or wet here but all the beans and corn I had just laying in dry dirt are now sprouted as the moisture met. I should at least get the crop out of the ground by June 1st.

I have been out in NW Ks the last few days helping finish the planting out there and it is DRY out there. I think most of the Milo is going to make it up but I'm not too sure the beans can and they were planted almost 3 inches deep and just into moisture. Got a call from my custom farmer and he said it was a "rotisserie chicken" day out there... 103 F and 40 to 50 mph wind ... LOTS of dirt in the air.

415 mile drive from here to there and the varience in the crop was tremendious ..from knee high to planters running. 50% of the pivots were running. Just can not believe all the mistakes some farmers are still making that are limiting their yields.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
ray h.

Just kind of curious,doe's Iowa produce about one half of the corn or what? Seems like if Iowa hase a good crop prospect in at least one half of the state,bar the doors,we are going to have plenty!