Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

Here's A Graph Of How Bad It Is

From the comments seen on this site, one would conclude that the University of Illinois conclusion on yield is way too optimistic.  I have to say, it would not surprise me if my area came in about as shown.

http://www.farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2012/09/projected_2012_crop_reporting.html

"Summary

In the states with projected 2012 CRD yields, the 2012 drought has its largest negative impacts on Kansas, Missouri, southern Illinois, and southwest Indiana. In terms of lower yields, the epicenter of the drought appears to have been in Missouri. Yields generally increase the further from this area. In general, corn yields were lower as a percent of trend than soybean yields."

Contributor
puff33m

Re: Here's A Graph Of How Bad It Is

I think Arkansas and West Kentucky could make a good argument they are the center of drought.
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

There is a band in central Nebraska, that also is about as bad as it has been anywhere.  With all the 'green' on the RADAR, we got maybe .15", and it took most of the day for it to fall. 

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

just living the dream.........IMG-20120913-00080.jpg

figured the tranny needed overdrive before we go cut some 0-5 bu soya in a few weeks...........

IMG-20120913-00079.jpg

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

I have a 1460 that needs second gear replaced. Looks like I just found the MAN.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

[ Edited ]

rain makes grain Jim,  

Western ks was not that good-------That graph shows conditions improving east to west in ks---not true.  West just kept getting worse.  O dryland acres harvested in western ks.  and not much irrigation with enough water to keep from being hurt.        nebraska--------why is it not included when it was dryer than Iowa.

Not sure the about the accuracy.

sw
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

Here in Nebraska, we say it's because we don't matter, LOL.

Actually, I wonder if it isn't because there is enough irrigated, that the common wisdom is that we don't 'suffer' in a drought.   I just hope the powers that be, don't forget, that there is a LOT of non-irrigated ground in Eastern Nebraska, like where my brother in law lives, that usually has 160+ BPA corn, that is getting 30-50 this year.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

[ Edited ]

Nebrfarmr,

Most Ks irrigation is suplemental and 30 years past its prime-------- goes from 220 down to 120 real easy in a drought.  Especially when it stops as august hits.------also the change from irr. back to dry land has been greatly accelorated by the drought.  In many areas the pumping is stopping.

2012 was a first for my 60 yrs of experience.  The only year when very little to no fall crop dry land was raised in all of western ks.  Always isolated dry areas but sw and nw both suffered this year.  the small wheat crop was pretty much a miracle.

I enjoy your posts-----------we make it into the kearney area to visit friends a couple times a year.  Get seed from that area.

sw
Senior Contributor
Silverwheaton

Hey Mizz,

I have a 2166 just like it. Except I have duals.

Oh by the way, you better listen to "time" he has been way more right over the years than wrong! 

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

how could you be wrong when you make statements like this..........

"the highs are in and you should be sold out unless we make new highs"................

LOL..........wow