Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

How Good is Indiana Corn ?

[ Edited ]

Well - My best guess is pretty dang good - over all . If any of you have been down in the crop section - i have a N test plot posted down there and have been tracking corn progress over the last3 or 4 weeks .

This a map of our area - if you notice the yellow part - well that would be me and 3020 - it covers Shelby , Rush ,Hancock , Henry , parts of Marion , Wayne , Fayette

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_midwest.htm

Here - we have had 1.8 inchs since July 4 weekend , this is at my place - the corn I post up is at my mom and dads place -- about 3/4 west of me - Someway - don't have rain fall  at that place - but dad said he has not got that much .

my documtims 537.jpgmy documtims 537.jpg

I pulled these yesterday -- late day . as you can see - one ear has pretty good tip back  - This did not surprize me = dry

As I said i have been checking this corn for some time - for 2 weeks straight this plot went 265 bpa - even with the dry weather it still comes out to 216 bpa -- pretty dang good for my part  of the world . 

BTW the kernel set is pretty good and is denting pretty good - so I should be close --- plus or minus some as to yield , but will still keep checking , the boys from Purdue will be here to check it and do stalk Nitrate test's SO more to come in the weeks ahead .

Remeber - I'm in the very small area or dry weather - I would guess there will be a  lot more hitting the super home run here - in yield anyway .

So there's  your Indiana update for today , Anybody want to help clean a bin today ?

Have a great day !

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: How Good is Indiana Corn ?

When was that planted Ken? Looks to be about the same maturity as mine or just a little ahead. I was planted April 30 with very little rain before mid July, but have received 12" over the last 4 weeks. I'm tipping back a little but not as much as you seem to be. I'd like to post pics of a few ears the way you have been, but with my crop only being a "Half Crop", every ear I pick now really hits the final yield at harvest time. ROTF
Senior Contributor
rawhide

i noticed you didn't tell them about down my way and my crops. i guess k. ross didn.t foward the e-mail. 49000 pop and 28 rows girth and 72 long -i figure 517 bu. / acre

Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Shaggy -  thatfield was planted May 2 - the corn here at my place was May 10 - I really need to check that field to to see if any diff .

rawhide - I will have to check with dumb chuck and Flash -as to your figures ! lol 

Senior Contributor
rawhide

seriously corn around here looks good. beans- not so much. ssaw some really good stuff in ohio yesterday and some not so good. 49 degrees here if we get an early frost -----shaggy bring your baler

Veteran Contributor
fringeacres

Y'all really have a problem with tip back. It is Gods way of letting you know it is planted thick enough. Until you see it, keep upping population. Besides the tip ain't 18 rows ,why would you want corn on the tip?

Senior Contributor
BF2012

lmfao..  Is that all Indiana with it's perfect growing conditions and black dirt has to offer.   A bunch of **bleep**ty pollinated ears that look like they have some sort of deformity going on.....and you're bragging abouit it.   You've got to be kidding me.   I'm sorry, but I've witnessed 265 - 300 bushel corn (not mine) and what I'm looking at right there ain't it.   You've probably convinced the wife you're packing 12" as well, but it isn't working here with your corn.   You might want to get your yield chart out and do a little refiguring there Kenny.  Just saying.

What is your population?   45K?   That's the only hope see for your delusion.  

Veteran Contributor
fringeacres

They only avg 28 long??????x 14.  X33000/90000 =144

Senior Contributor
hanktbd

[ Edited ]

That looks like some of my earlier planted corn. How long are those ears? Seems like the ears and kernals are really large on the earlier corn. Unfortunately most of my corn and most of the corn in this area was planted later than optimum and some of it really late. The later corn pollinated better, but the ears and kernals are definitely smaller.

From my earlier post over on crop talk for those who missed it.

081013 030.jpg

Senior Contributor
dairyfarmmn

Those of us who have known Kenny for a while know he has is own, shall we say special, way of hand sampling. It is not to be tried by others. Last guy to try it was db51 and he ended up with a cut on his arm and an infection in his elbow!!!!

Course we all so know Kenny has a hard time spelling, so his 216 might actually be 261. After ECIN calls me like 5X today I'll post up what his yield is.....

BTW, is this corn in Indiana= the new Kansas, or Kansas= the new Indiana?