Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
kraft-t

How high do prices go?

If we have a crop production failure. While bids may reach astronomical levels demand may vaporize along with it. Who is going to feed $15 corn or distill it into ethanol. So corn levels off at $10 per bushel and we have fewer buyers and much less to sell. It sounds like its terrible for everyone.

Veteran Contributor
Mike central IA

Re: How high do prices go?

It is a bad deal for sure. Sadly, we have no control over yields at this point, but I think it is safe to say that darn near all of us would prefer to grow the record crop that was dialed in for us earlier this year. I know I would. I guess the markets are gonna do what they are gonna do whether it is good for any of us, or not. We aren't going to control that aspect either. But, if I have to survive on way below average yields, it is gonna take way above average prices to get it out of my hands!

Senior Contributor
425Cat

We'll see how the new genetics perform this year. We might be saying " yielding better than I expected " come harvest

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

lets hope

sw
Senior Contributor
425Cat

We had 100 degree heat here and the corn was rolled up white. Thought she was done. Cooled off today and surprised how much better it looked , howver starting to pollinate and we need a rain now.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

If you lost your top leaves you got trouble.  If two more leaves are comming the loss will be a lot less.

sw
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

excuse me-----if the top leaves green back up you may not have as bad a loss.

sw
Frequent Contributor
ne 50

I'm sorry ... if you have stress at any point during this time of year... your loss is not reversible... you get one chance to pollinate and that is it... 12 leaf corn that is 3 to 4 ft tall is history... I don't care how new the genetics are!!!

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

We deal with heat, but have ample water.  In hot june we can see 12 leaves on 5' corn and still polinate good.  If the heat units come too fast the plant will shorten up.   It will try to develop faster because of the flood of heat units.  It is why kansas can raise 200 bu corn 6 ft tall and the same variety in Iowa or Nebraska will be 2-3 ft taller.  If you have plenty of water and do not scald leaves or mess up the silk/tassel timing height is not a big factor.  We have some that often gets a few leaves scalded white and still polinates well.  They just don't fill well without those top 4 leaves.

sw
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

What bothers us is the genetics are changing so often that we have lost the dependability of knowing which varieties handle heat better than others.  You can seldom find a variety that has more than 3 years of history.  That is going to hurt us.  Relying on the "research" or sales plot data is no match for "proven in the field".

sw