Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

I was wrong

I thought it was way too late to plant corn. Boy was I wrong.

Yesterday that 100 mile away BTO showed up with his big planter and is planting corn right here in South Podunk Country.

The 2 foot tall weeds have used up at least half of his fall applied N and I'll bet the wet weather got rid of some of it. As he only has a part of a growing season it might just even out. Wonder what planting date he'll turn in?

I've got one 15 acre field I have to go through another neighboring BTO's field to get to mine, his was 3 leaf yesterday, I thought that was a little small for the second half of June.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
Slim123

Re: I was wrong

I don't have time to scout the neighbors crops. With 13 inches of rain since the corn was planted in the Middle of May, my crops don't look any better then the next guys. Still have half my soybeans to plant. Got another 1/2 inch yesterday. 

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Slim, it is hard not to look when you are driving through his field and staying between the rows in one case and working in the adjoining field and getting a call about it from another neighbor.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
SouthWestOhio

I hope you give us an August update on that late planted corn. It should be a good lesson especially for the BTO that thought he would make more money planting it than taking the insurance.
Veteran Advisor
Palouser

So, what is the official last date for ANY insurance coverage?

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Here is a pict taken from my side of the fence as I was spraying....Kind of hard NOT to look at what was happening on the other side of the fence when it is that big and planting corn on the 19th of JUNE.

ResizedImage_1371666602089.jpg

Senior Reader
wiley356

my guess is grip or no insurance at all ... so pp not an option

Contributor
dozer876

Contributor
dozer876

What's the specs of a BTO? Curious if I'm closer to a hobby farmer or a BTO.
Advisor
WCMO

[ Edited ]

Since PP coverage would pay if not planted at all (and other qualifying requirements met), I would guess that the minimum guarantee would probably be the greater of the PP coverage level, or the 1% per day reduction from the final plant date.  Not sure if it's still the same now, yet I think years ago that you could choose whether or not to insure the late-planted crop if it was planted after the end of the late planting period, and if insured then your guarantee was the same as the PP coverage. 

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln