Advisor

Illinois Farmer Sees Corn Monitor Hit 300

Joe Zumwalt, Warsaw, Illinois, is harvesting corn today. He allowed us to ride along with him on this field harvest. Watch this 'live on tape' livestream from today.

Watch monitor hit 300 here

What say you?

Mike

Honored Advisor

Re: Illinois Farmer Sees Corn Monitor Hit 300

I speed watched it and noticed he was expecting 220-240 field average.  Surprised it was 23% moisture so monitor is probably good.  Very good, thanks Mike and Joe.  

I remember "Herman Warsaw" getting 300 bpa in the 1980`s   Smiley Happy

Veteran Advisor

same old same old...........yes when it rings the bell at 300 bpa, we go front page......

why don't your go out and ride with SW, and have a picture of his monitor showing 120 bu 

got to keep that positive spin !!!!  Chicagoland reads your headline, and down we go.......

yes, SW is just an "isolated area".......but this fellow.......it is like that all over the state.

Advisor

BA DEERE,

Thanks for the feedback. The farmer was willing to talk about his marketing moves, so I thought it would be interesting for folks to watch.

Thanks,

Mike

Advisor

elcheapo,

C'mon man! We're trying to get a balance, believe me. Hopefully, tomorrow, we're going to hook up with a guy from central Kansas. And he is in the drought-stricken area. So, we'll see what he's coming up with.

But, as far as cherry-picking, absolutely not. I'm open to visit with anyone that is willing to take the time to get connected and is willing to be patient with the short time it takes to get hooked up technologically.

Mike

Frequent Visitor

Sometimes when we see a number on our yield monitor which seems unusually high or low, we immediately go to the page which shows how many rows are being harvested. Once in awhile the monitor may show 6 rows being harvested, when 8 are actually. That throws the calculation off.

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

If you believe a cab yield monitor then any good operator can show you a 300 bu yield on a 200 bushel field at least for a short time....

That field was an average field... with spots in the middle making half that.  Go to 4:47 on the counter and really look ...... that spot was missing ears and nearly drowned out...

They are terribly inaccurate unless speed is exactly consistent.  A gentle decrease in acceleration can really boost perception....... or a monitor that is set to a 17 yield in a field of 23 moisture.   Very few will calebrate to the tickets at the end of the field.  We moved from 33 to 16.4 moisture in the last 2 days by field choice and I guarantee the calebration will nott adjust itself between those two.

I have tried but so far, no one is willing to buy corn using a yield monitor in the cab......... yet the geeks at Deere think they can sell that information and make money......... accurate or not.

Highlighted
Friend

When I look at his monitor it says dry bushels 3011 and divide by acres it says 13.94 I came up with about 216 bushels per acre , this sounds closer to the truth. I think something is not right here.

Advisor

Can't remember a time when I hauled corn in and they asked a feller what their monitor said and wrote that down.

They seem to always want to weigh the **** stuff, check the moisture and calculate bushels.

Scales don't care if you used a 4400, an R2 or a 2388 to put it in the wagon/truck.

Yields aren't figured until the field/harvest is done.

Veteran Advisor

Sorry ole eagle eye....I had to bring it up, it's a
Dirty job but someone has to do it, and that's
Usually the kind of jobs I get.