Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Independence Day

I'd like to wish everyone a happy and safe July 4th Holiday.  I hope everyone enjoys the company of family and friends doing whatever it is you enjoy doing.  For me, I'll be with family but it'll be in the wheat harvest field.  It's been several years since harvest has carried over this late for us, but we were blessed with about 3 weeks of welcome moisture and everything was stalled for a bit.

Senior Advisor
ECIN

Re: Independence Day

Same to you ole buddy - About the same thing here - but in a sprayer - lol  :smileyhappy:

Advisor
425Cat

Are yields coming up at all shaggy??
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Happy 4th everyone!  I'm working on replacing a screen door on our front door today - a project long overdue.  The humidity and wind are down, and it's not raining, so today is the day.  Maybe will take in some fireworks later.  Usually, we go to the parade they have in Cannon Falls, which is one heck of a parade.  But today, I just have other things I want to do.

Jen

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

425Cat, the best I've cut so far is about 30.  Mostly everything else came in at 15-20.  To much drought before the rains came.  I've spoken to a few other that are reporting yields in the same range.  Kansas might not be the wheat king this year.

Senior Advisor
ECIN

Hey shaggy - Is the weeds giving you any trouble ?

Advisor
farmerguy89

God bless amurrica.. Lol
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Somewhat ECIN. I abandoned about 50 acres because the wheat was poor enough that spraying wouldn't be feasible. I've got another 40 acres that I have turned into an aerial applicator to be sprayed. I need to wait 7-10 days after spraying before I harvest, that is the only wheat I've got remaining to cut. Overall yield was about 15%~20% of normal.
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Weeds are getting worse as we speak. I abandoned about 50 acres, the wheat was so poor that spraying wasn't feasible. I've got another 40 acres that is suppose to be aerial sprayed today. I'll need to wait 7-10 days before harvesting, just dragging harvest out this year. 1000's of acres in this area will either not be harvested or will need weeds killed before hand. If we receive any more rain in that mix it'll probably be lights out for the crop in this area. Yields are about 15%-20% of normal.

Still a few planter and drills running with milo and a few beans still going in I'm told. Not sure if the calendar will allow a decent crop for them but we'll see later.

FWIW, I typed almost the exact reply last evening and it was rejected by an anonymous moderator. I sure would like to know why.
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Now this is just getting ridiculous. Must be all that spam I've been eating lately.