Advisor
hardnox604008
Accepted Solution

Is J.P. Morgan a farmer?

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/20/j_p_morgan_is_not_a_farmer/

The bought and paid for members of the house ag committee are delivering the desired derivatives regulatory relief for their arse bandit owners, just as they delivered crop insurance subsidies to the crop insurance industry and corporations that provide inputs (crop farmers are just the serendipitous beneficiaries of existing as extremely valuable livestock on the corporate ranch).

But I digress. Financial deregulation almost killed the system once and WILL kill it in the end, regardless of who benefits in the short run.

Oh well, a little late to be lecturing on good government policy. Of course this is no way to run a railroad as a matter of principle and if you want a purely practical argument, how are you guys going to like it if it suddenly becomes the more profitable thing for the ABs to drive grain prices lower rather than higher?

Goes without saying that you're going to be squealing like shoats stuck in a fence, heck, a lot of you are squealing now when you're on the long side of it to an historic extent.

Oh well again. Such is lfe in the short interregnum between the end of the Republic (2001) and the end of the Empire (20??). When farmers were king. Enjoy.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Frequent Contributor
tOTALED

Re: Is J.P. Morgan a farmer?

Is RSW J.P. Morgan?

Advisor
hardnox604008

RSW reminds me of the old joke about the guy who got shipwrecked alone on a desert island with Cindy Crawford (I told you it was an old joke) and after a while the two became passionately intimate, shall we say.

That was great for a while but then the guy inexplicably began to become morose and then sank into a long, deep depression.

Finally Cindy comes to him and says, "if there's anything, anything I can do to help, just name it."

He thinks about if for a moment and says "OK, here, take this cap and put it on your head and tuck your hair up under it."  She complies and he takes her by the shoulders, looks here in the eye and says "HEY BUDDY, I'M @#$%^&* CINDY CRAWFORD!!!!"

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

My thought on 'deregulation', would be it depends on how much it gets 'deregulated'.

If it simplifies the system, while keeping necessary rules in place (and I might add, stiffer penalties for the cheats) it might not be a bad thing.

If it lets the inmates run the asylum, then maybe not so much.

Advisor
hardnox604008

Solution my ass.

J.K. Galbraith
Senior Contributor
rswfarms

Hardnox- thanks for the laugh!!!! I enjoyed your joke. Yes, I am a different character than most farmers. Some of this is due to the observations I see in the local farmers in my area compared to the city people. Many local farmers in my area have what I call "Farmitis". This means they view the world from there own little patch of farmland without seeing it from living in the Big City. Living and interacting with a great deal of people with very different lifestyles and perspectives on the world and economy is something you see alot of living in a Big City. And when you live in a Big City, you tend to be a little more agressive and just say and do what you please since you don't live around these people, unlike when you live around the much smaller group of people on the farm.

Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Re: Actually quite profound

I think we have a lot of folks here than can only visualize what needs to be done from their own perspective. Evidently the farm is the center of the universe and nobody else counts.

Veteran Advisor
Palouser

If we don't crack down on the financial sector and limit their political power and hold them accountable for the selfish recklessness of their highly paid top executives we are going to have a hard time with any reforms at all.

Unfortunately we will have to go through our corrupted representatives to accomplish this. To some degree it's hardly surprising reform isn't coming if we can't make a dent in our representatives. If we don't speak Wall St continues to get their way - and we get the highway.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Sorry Kraft,  But it is the center of the universe.  Feeding ourselves is still the top priority on every personal budget.  Most everything else has a level of expendability.

sw
Senior Contributor
bruce MN

The land gets farmed.  Food gets raised. On every possible acre, whether it's you,  don, me or The Man in the Moon working it, making production decisons or processing the grain or fiber.

Those who would have our representatives continue to allow the financialization of everything, as achieved via concentration and contraction and discarding of "inefficient" elements  would be most surely be fully capable of managing and employing the necessary wage slaves to carry out the farming.

We are all specks on an elephants a## in this game.  From a purely pragmatic economic perspective, not to be missed the moment we'd be gone.  The entire lot of us.