Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Jen AM Weather

Not many changes in near term, status quo continues.

Overall, this moring cornbelt stays cool and dry next ten days. The weather pattern that I spoke about yesterday and the possibility of a good shot of rain is gone. It's been replaced with a fairly large high dropping out of Canada that will bring again cooler and now dryer weather to the midwest beginning next Thursday and looks like it will stick around until early the following week. That takes us nearly through the the middle of August. There just is still nothing out there going to give the entire cornbelt a drink now through mid August. As I said, cooler, dryer than yesterday. In addition, a large pool of cool artic air is beginning to show up entering NW Canada. That pool is below freezing. It's not close enough to the US to tap into directly, and the bulk of that air mass will modify warmer as it enters the US. But, somewhere in the northern US will be in the 30's next week, and with the high now moving in a freeze somewhere in the Northern tier could occur. Probably not a larger area yet. But definitely noteworthy. And this is only August.

Jen
Senior Contributor
dairyfarmmn

Re: Jen AM Weather

We've had cold weather in August before and we will have cold weather in August again, really no big deal. Maybe this crop is later but My corn is just tasseling and pollinating. Not the first time that has happened before either. And the stuff that had pollinated, the cool temps are perfect for grain fill. All this talk of cold weather is a bit premature. Especially for corn. Now beans on the other hand? "We're screwed"
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

The beans suck. I totally agree, and are the sleeper crop. But appearances on beans really mean nothing. I messed up a few years ago, had some spray left in my sprayer and went on vacation for a week. Got back, thought that when I finished that I was spraying just round up. Wrong. Had 1#/ acre atrazine in mix, with 1/4 tank left, I refilled the sprayer and sprayed 40 acres - along a county highway. Defoliated the beans, they sorta recovered. Got a foot tall but still did 30 bu, rest of field did 60. Was really glad I has an air real. Had the coop agronomist ride with me because he was convinced there was nothing there. It looked like nothing was even going in the combine. But neighbors still remind me of it.

Jen
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

http://video.latino.foxnews.com/v/2574867146001/nasa-spots-giant-dark-hole-in-the-sun/?intcmp=obnetw...#

if you wait on it about 15 seconds you do not have to click on a sponser.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Frequent Contributor
booked

I am not to sure this guy that fox dug up has his brain turned on when he went on to make that clip......

Earth will be just fine the space weather I watch has not even mentioned as much.......

I used to trust fox not to sure anymore.....

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

He said it was no big deal, it is just now we have the new tech to see and watch it. I think it might have a little age on this clip.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

The expert on the video didn't come across to me as much of an expert. It's not a sunspot, it's not a hole. And I don't have my normal computer equipment to evaluate further. But it makes no difference, the extra heat it may make for the earth can't trump the cold from the arctic. Immaterial in this discussion right now.

Jen
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

No Hobby, this is a view from a satellite I think we put up 2 years or so ago. It's looks at different wavelengths of light to give us additional views of what the sun is doing. It's a lagid picture, but again immaterial for this discussion, no matter when it was done.

Jen
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Problem was time constraints and his familiarly with the subject. He did not mention that that area was still probably 3 million degrees HOT just not the 3.5 million that the rest of the surface was.

Jen you are going to have to get used to me putting things into posts... some of them will be severely "off topic". This was/ is not one of those.

I did not find a date on this post but don't you think that a large area of cooler area on the Sun might make for a slightly cooler earth after the half hr blow by of the solar flare? Kind of like dimming the heat lamp slightly?

Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

No, what they use that imagery for has no correlation with solar radiation.

Sunspots are a different matter. Sometime ago, I posted an analogy of a sunspot vs a volcanic tube that's flowing. If the tube is covered, it's not bad. But getting near a hole in that tube that exposes you to the molten lava inside, a different matter. A sunspot is sorta like that. When a sunspot hole faces the earth, it bombards us with additional radiation. Which can cause additional global warming. But that global warming cannot offset the influx of cold air from Canada that we have been experiencing.

Jen