Veteran Contributor

Re: Just what does Chicago want ???

What amazes me is that if we increased ethanol useage by 1% more, we would use almost another 500 million bushel of corn.  I still think we can fix diesel's emission problems by using a blend of ethanol instead of DEF.  That change alone would be more than the 1% increase.  Then we would need an extra 3 million acres more corn than this year to service the increase. SA runs so much more ethanol than we do through their vehicles, they just didn't have API to feed stories to their people. 

Advisor

ungrad,,,

True story.

When my check engine light comes on, I just run a tank of E85 and it goes off.  Which means I just need to run more E85, which I try to do.

Esteemed Advisor

Ray, Thanks for the clarification.  That, I can buy.

Just a question for you.  With the lower corn prices, is your place of business expanding to utilize the corn at much lower prices?  Or are you already running at capacity now?

Veteran Advisor

The industry is shrinking over time as HFCS demand declines in fits and starts

if you can find other uses for demand that is being lost, then it works out

but we just closed a large plant in Memphis Tenn. earlier this year and bulldozed the site

A couple of plants, including ours here in Eddyville, have been able to tweak their production higher very modestly

We brought the wet mill in Fort Dodge up in the last 18-24 months....that was a partially completed facility we bought from Tate and Lyle.......it produces ethanol, and also produces dextrose for an across the fence customer who makes lysine and MSG

I would be shocked if anyone considered building a new wet mill in the US......

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

Thanks for the update Ray.   It's always interesting to hear some info about the folks who use our corn.