Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Contributor
AlKluis

Kluis Comments 12/20

Good Morning!

We are watching the weather on three continents this morning, Here in Minneapolis it has started to snow. We are expecting 6 to 10 inches of snow (which will bring our total up to a record 50 inches in the month of December) . This will make for an interesting Vikings/Bears game tonight. In Europe record cold and a lot of snow is increasing global heating oil demand. The most important area we are watching is in Argentina. The dry areas of Argentina did get some rain, but we do see crop conditions continuing to slide this week with late week temperatures getting over 100.  Many private estimates have taken the crop down from 52 MMT to 49 MMT and that 3 MMT or 100 million bushel drop in global production is significant this year.

The charts and time cycles I work with project a high this week so even though the news is bullish and the hype is bullish, I am willing to use mid week strength to make another cash sale, and if prices pull back I will buy some calls in the first week of 2011. If prices keep moving higher – I will look for a place to make another sale. I want to get some sales off in the Corn market with  $6 in front of it and the soybeans with a $13 in front of it.   I will post another weather report and game report tomorrow morning – probably from home. 

-Al

Frequent Contributor
eurofarmer1755642

Re: Kluis Comments 12/20

Hi ....can you please explain "Viking/bears"

Tough weather i n EU... France will get amounts of rains or snow wich will make ponds in fields.

UK under snow

South Scandinavia were I am from drown under snow...lots of wheat will dy if this continue ...

Is weather the main thing tody???

Contributor
AlKluis

The Minnesota Vikings will host the Chicago Bears tonight here in Minneapolis for a very snowy football game. After our 20+ inch snowfall last week the roof of our Metrodome (where the Vikings usually play) collapsed under the weight of the snow. For the past week crews have been busy clearing out all of the snow  at the outdoor stadium at The University of Minnesota, which will host tonight's game. But it looks like they'll have quite a bit more snow to get cleared out before the game! 

Weather is the focus for today! Not only here in Minnesota but also in Europe and Argentina. 

Advisor
Pupdaddy

..You almost have it explained clearly enough for our European friend...Except football to Europeans is soccer...and while the Vikings and Bears will definitely be kicking the football....they won't exactly be kicking the same kind of football....LOL

Senior Contributor
Palouser

EFarmer, I didn't understand what you were trying to say about your wheat conditions. You have lot's of snow on winter wheat?

In my area we like to have snow on our wheat to keep it from freezing, except on our steep hills it sometimes creates deep drifts on the north sides because of the wind. At times it causes the wheat to develop too slowly in the spring when the other slopes are melted. If the drifts are not deep sometimes the wheat on north slopes will develop faster under the snow compared to the exposed slopes that are exposed.

Frequent Contributor
eurofarmer1755642

Frequent Contributor
eurofarmer1755642

Hi Pal

We always get a fungusdeasese called snowmeldew wich kill the whole field if we have snow more than 7 weeks in a row.

If we get cold air before the snow we have att better chance for survival of the wheat.This problem is not in canola...

Wheat after wheat without the plow is worst of everything...yes we have chemicals but most farmers don`t belive in snow.....

Perhaps next year....you get clever if you get hurt..........we also  say "educationmoeny"..

Is it space for further upside in wheat????

I think so

merry xmas to you and all..

Senior Contributor
Palouser

We have identical problems. But we seldom have continuous snow for 7 weeks. As our area has cold soils and a short season (similar to yours) we also have problems with wheat after wheat. The root diseases and fungus are very hard on what we call 'recrop' wheat. We must stay in a rotation with other crops to keep yields high.

Veteran Advisor
Canuck_2

Just to throw another region in here, in Ontario and the snow belt around the Great Lakes we expect and welcome snow cover.

Seldom see problems from having snow cover but can get winter kill from being exposed to 1) cold drying winds and 2) heaving from the freeze thaw cycle of sun and mild days and freezing nights.

1 problem that can come from snow cover is having snow cover on unfrozen ground for long period of 6-8 weeks or longer. This can lead to Wheat Bunt and problems to market a 'fishy' wheat sample.

BTW we have had snow on unfrozen ground now for 3 weeks or so.

I would like to see a mild spell and then freeze the ground before more snow.

I would also like this to happen soon, the time of year does not look favourable for this to happen.