Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

La Nina/El Nino -- is it on your mind?

Just sifted through some information from several folks a lot smarter than I am (that's not difficult, though!) about this Southern Oscillation and where we're sitting with La Nina and El Nino. Sounds like there are a lot of signals that La Nina will be ending later this month, but that there's not as much certainty about when El Nino will take over. Maybe August? So, we may be looking at an "ENSO-neutral" period for much of this spring and summer, likely with above-average temps over much of the country and average or below-average precipitation.

So, when you see or hear anything about El Nino & La Nina, is it something you take into account much in your management and marketing? Seems like there's a lot more attention on the topic this year than in past years. What do you think? 

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
-----------------------------------------------
Senior Contributor
NDf

Re: La Nina/El Nino -- is it on your mind?

Since in the end it effects the weather, but its not the only thing and nobdy can accuratly predict the weather more than a few weeks out I don't give it more than a glance over. We were suppose to have a cold wet winter here in ND because of Lania and the opposite happened because something else overode it so you could predict the switch at the righ timet to El Nino and some other factor could prevent its effects n the climate from happening. 

Senior Contributor
bkadds

My weather rock is as accurate as the forecasters! I think after last year it cannot get any worse. Record heat and dryness have lead many to prepare for the exact same thing this year. Will believe weather pattern changes when it occurs. Have heard a forecast for another decade of heat and dryness. If that comes to fruition say bye bye to the aquifer in this area.
Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

El Nino would be expected to help make a good crop.  La Nina could be not so good.  This year, the price projections range from the high $4 tothe high $7.  Lots of difference.

If we were sure to have a bumper crop. many of us would sell Dec corn now.  If we though we'd have a bust, we'd hold tight.  Yes, to me ENSO matters.  I wish I understood it better.  But as of right now, I'm thinking we're more likely to have a good crop.  how good?  I don't know. 

Senior Contributor
k-289

Dry as abone in N E Nebraska ---set some corner posts over the last couple days and the hill tops dry 4 feet and have some bottom ground that is usually wet untill last of May is dry 6 inches---alfalfa and pasture need  H2O big time ---