Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
marketeye

Late harvest...or not?

[ Edited ]

Here's an excerpt of a story I pieced together on the prospects of a late harvest.

Ultimately, the decision to start harvest may be more based on farmers trying to capture a better cash price vs. the maturity of the crop.

"Cash basis prices are weakening by the day," Hobrock says. "It will be touch-and-go for some of my farmer-customers to have corn in time to fill their September contracts. One guy tells me he has a 60,000-bushel September contract with a crop that might not be ready. But farmers may start harvest anyway to capture that better September basis price vs. October basis."

Full Story:   Cash Price To Push Harvest

What do you think? Is this the year you chase the local cash price, starting harvest earlier than first-thought?

Thanks,

Mike

Contributor
Riverlandfrmr

Re: Late harvest...or not?

With the crop planted later than normal and the cooler weather this summer I was thinking that it may be oct 5 before we would be in harvest. Not in this heat and drought. Yes, we're in a full blown drought and the corn is drying down so fast that I think we'll see corn around here come out by mid sept. regardless of price, it will be ready.
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

We are still getting some rain and low 90's. A lot could happen in September, but if normal weather continues around here I'll be ready to start about first week of October. That's pretty normal for me.
Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

It's gonna be late where i am. No heat. Normal plant.. 1 week behind. Lots of rain
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Harvest has started.

Was too hot by noon to feel like or even want to do anything so decided to go retrieve that new to me corn head at Cherokee this afternoon. At Dallas Center saw one of the Stine seed corn harvesters going down a rock road. Bet they weren't just out for a drive.

A little farther north at the New but not done Ag Ventures seed corn plant there had been some seed corn picked (not a lot but some)

Up on hwy 20 I saw one large field being chopped. So harvest has started. Corn looked above average.

The 100 degree temps are really taking their toll on the crop. Just since Wed when I was on the same roads, there has been a noticable change and not for the better.

Saw two different farmers out spraying beans. They were having NO trouble not smashing any beans down except on the ends. Very few have closed the centers on the 30 inch beans.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

Harvesting seed corn is not picking corn.  Two totally different harvest activities.  Still a month away where I am.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

I also suppose chopping doen't count either?

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

My agronomist told me I'd be harvesting by the third week of September, my cutter told me I'd be harvesting by the end of the first week or the beginning of the second. We'll see who is correct. Either way, weather permitting, I should still have plenty of time to get the corn off, ground sprayed and winter wheat seeded by the last week of September or the first week of October.
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

Looking at some of the pictures posted makes me wonder. If we get some rain and the greener parts of the fields stay green or even green up, how will people harvest. Those dead portions of the field won't green back up. Seems like after all this crop has been through if it gets enough rain the spots that are still trying to grow may do so for a long time. Would you harvest the dry part of a field and leave the rest til later. Or try to "force the wet stuff through". Or leave the it until it's all ready.
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Fortunate for me Buck, my fields are all uniform. This includes both corn and milo.