Honored Advisor

Late summer hiway 69 crop tour

North of Ames a bean field out, I believe a seed sign said Nutech 3251, so a group 2.5.   Very little green in the corn stalks, up by Jewell a Cat combine in a 1/2 finished field and a corn field along the hiway finished.  A few silage fields chopped of course.

New Horizons Pork sign said they were paying $2.86....omg! they must not need corn too bad, I sold bin sweepin`s for $2.99 the other day at the coop.   Okay up to Goodell the corn and beans looked pretty green and good yet.  Then Belmond Max Yield still has the bunker of covered 2,3yr old corn.   And by God, those train cars are still there from Belmond all the way up to Garner, they were sitting there last year too.  

Klemme is dry looking, but north between there and Garner a band of hail went through earlier this summer, some was chopped with cover crop, some pretty green replanted and some just left and was thin and weedy.   Somebody must`ve bought Roger`s 7720 that was for sale south of Garner  Smiley Happy 

But yeah, just a little bit of everything along the old highway 69.   Really good looking beans, corn finished pretty rapidly (whether that`s good or not?).   But the corn in the bunker and cheap corn bids says "it`s out there".

Advisor

Re: Late summer hiway 69 crop tour

I just made a quick trip from east central Iowa to Fresno, CA via I-80 and back via I-70, I-76, I-80.

California looks brown.

A number of FOR SALE signs in ag fields.  A number of signs commenting on the water rights dispute.

I didn't see any corn picked anywhere.  A few fields chopped.  Beans are turning and are all over the map.  Some are turning steady across the field and some are leaf drop in one spot and green in another.  Corn is turning, quite a bit is brown up to the ear.

I'm no good at estimating via a windshield tour, so didn't even try.

I got 0.35" Friday night.  First in a month.  Probably didn't matter much but I won't throw it out of bed.

Some corn being chopped south of I-80, down around Washington.

Honored Advisor

What I`m going by is on my own corn, the upland forest soils are brown stalks and ears drooping, where as the "low ground the stalk is pretty much all green yet and ears upright with green husks.  I would kind of rather all my corn look like the low ground.   Well, a band by Goodell had what I though it should look like this time of year.   But my upland corn is in the high 20`s for moist and I suppose that`s what it is north of Ames, they could be picking for high moisture feed or just getting started to haul manure.

Around here it`s funny with the beans some are dark green on the hills and yellow in the low ground.  Well, for some during planting the high ground didn`t germinate for 3 weeks, where the low ground come up right away.   Some group 1.4s out there to get it off early to haul manure, but they are no further along than 2.2s.   It`ll be 2 weeks around here, I didn`t see any picked north very far of Jewell.

Senior Reader

Live in Belmond. The train cars park north of town last year were for fracking sand. This year the cars are coal cars. ( There are several hundred cars) Tells you something about their industries.

Million bushel pile is 2016 corn. Elevator plans to move this winter. We will have average crops here.

Honored Advisor

Thanks Dennis.  So those are coal cars, I looked up those 2 cylinder looking things on the bottom and that`s to keep the center of gravity low, but most of those I saw did have the cover on the top (probably so fracking sand doesn`t blow out).   Belmond didn`t look as good as Goodell, but better than Klemme.

http://www.matts-place.com/trains/coal/car_types-rotarydump.htm  

image.pnghttp___www.matts-place.com_trains_coal_images_tgnx30051.jpg

Advisor

BA- others - the letter index on the side of coal cars indicate the home base of power plant or utility group , whether outright owned or leased ---

Belly Pan Gondola for capacity as returns are empty ---

Powder River Basin Wy.  to  Smithers Lake Tx. - Parrish Power Plant -  SW edge of Houston Tx .  

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

thank you 289