Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Looking ahead to March 31

[ Edited ]

Well, tomorrow starts the countdown clock to the big March 31 USDA Prospective Plantings report. Just saw Allendale put out some estimates -- they're calling for the 2nd-largest corn crop since 1944, and the 3rd-highest bean crop ever. All the while, wheat looks to be taking a hit, and that hit will probably grow between now and harvest.

So, do you think these are about right? What's the buzz in your neck of the woods? 

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
-----------------------------------------------
Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

Re: Looking ahead to March 31

Will cotton gain any acres?

Senior Contributor
clayton58

It may be big numbers, but it is less than what the trade has been using.  So maybe bullish?  And with market action the past week, will we see those big numbers realized??

Community Manager
marketeye

Cotton will certainly gain acres from the Mississippi Delta, from what I'm told. Arkansas cotton farmers are planting more corn and soybeans vs. rice and cotton. Meanwhile, there has been talk that some longtime cotton farmers have sold their equipment and are unable to grow it anymore. Overall, I think this is going to be one of the more interesting categories to watch, in the March 31 Report.

Mike

Community Manager
marketeye

On Friday, Informa, the private analyst firm, released new acreage estimates. Here they are:

Informa #'s:

Corn=91.8 million acres

Soybeans=75.3 million

Winter Wheat=41.0

Spring Wheat=16.7

What say you about these numbers?

Mike

Frequent Visitor
deblon2817829

I think that this is very premature to be depending at all on the USDA. They have a propensity for being way off and changing numbers to what they see fit. It is very hard to see how every crop will see an increase in acres, including cotton. Yields will be much more important than acreage, and it doesn't look like anything is in rosy condition right now.  With the cost of inputs and the drastic fluctuations in the markets I only hope that farmers everywhere keep their heads about them and sticks with their normal production.  If prices can dip the way they have recently it is obvious that there is more than enough commodities available so that the world need not worry.