Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Makes no difference

[ Edited ]

To Mother Nature what the USDA, misinforma, unprofessional farmer or any of those other outfits spew about this years crop (still mostly in the bag).

Last year what were their set in stone #'s? Anybody remember how much 'ol Ma Nature cared?

Well she is/has a great way of averaging things out.

Last year corn was going in the ground 2 to 3 weeks early. Anybody have a planter that can penetrate frozen ground? That's what it'll take this morning.

Those northern farmers that think they are in the new corn belt are going to be collecting crop insurance as their income in the very near future. That new frost proof gene isn't on the market yet.

This is the year to actually pay attention to average LAST frost dates, and maybe keep an eye on what a cool wet summer with an earlier than average first freeze date.

All these prognosticators remind me of the old Soviet Union and their forecasts and edicts.

Anybody need a grain of salt?

edit:

Last year ol Ma Nature pulled their fat out of the fire with the early harvest last year. What will an average or even better yet a late wet harvest do to their #'s?  Wonder what the "fudge" will be like then?

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Makes no difference

Is the USDA building located too close to the Federal Reserve?

Do they think they can get anything/all they need with just a printing press?

Is their motto...

"If we print it, it will appear"?

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

I read the Commstock report this morning......He stated that Chicago and the USDA have done everything they can do to keep the price of corn as low as they can for the end user..      Not sure the end users would agree with that however.  I'm not yet convinced that enough rationing has been done.....especially now when it appears that early harvested crops will not bail anyone out.  Everyday that it is cold and wet is one less day to our growing season. The window for early harvested grain appears to be closing. At some point, Chicago and the USDA will take notice.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Veteran Contributor
Kstater85

Not sure if you have noticed but the earliest bushels--- Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Alabama are actually ahead of last years planting pace.  

Senior Advisor
BA Deere

If USDA bean counters don`t get the "memo"  and give out a bearish report, the market will shrug it off in the first half hour and close limit up, seen it a hundred times. I think like the old Fram filter commercial "pay a little now or a whole lot more later" the acres gotta get planted and incentive to put on that "extra #30 of N".

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

[ Edited ]

adding the #'s from NASS, we're talking from 300 - 500 mil bu that until today, were likely to be on the market by Aug 1. Now, might not make Aug @ all???

I believe roarin' is referring to all the early southern planted corn that just got clipped by freeze pretty good last 2 days..........likely a significant % of this will have too re-emerge or be re-planted.

......if he's not, I am.................

Veteran Contributor
vandenplas

BA Deere--

How much older than 100 are you anyway?

Senior Contributor
ray h.

USDA,NASS,it dos'nt matter what they think. Once planted,a good harvest is a (blessing)not to be taken for granted.This is why an individual should pay attention to his rotation,and his forage demands instead of just a  narrow minded focas on the greed created by the board of trade! (The board of trade can certainly take for granted wide spread blessings in corn yeald!)

Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

C-x-1 have you seen any frost killed corn down there. You will know it when you see it. The corn turns a blackish green color and within a week or so the corn turns orange. The corn may not be completely killed off. We had corn here in 2010 that got a good dose of frost. The corn came back and grew but it was never the same. Usually we are starting field prep by now here in southern Michigan but the 10 day forecast still has snow and rain in it for next week. Hard to believe the crop insurance early planting date here for corn is April 5th.

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

Blacksandfarmer,

no, haven't seen any...it's only been a day & we are 110 miles or so away. From studying the low temp maps from yest & today, however, I do know that ALL the southern states were BELOW 32 for several hrs 1 of the last 2 days- a significant % of corn planting area was affected (60%-90%). some areas had lows in mid twenties and were below 32 for 6-8 hrs.

so you tell me what your feeling is based on that info???

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/forecast/mississippi/temperature-lows  start here and you can go through each southern state ind. to see todays lows.

Tx was not hit as bad today, but yest had all 32 or below where corn had emerged.

thanks,

c-x-1