Camilla

Feb / March 2017

BID 4.48
BASIS 0.75
FUTURES 3.7250
FUTURES MONTH H17
PRICE CHANGE -0.0175

we are at a minus 41 basis here.

Does it really cost $5000 or more per hopper car to roll one down the tracks 1000 miles or less? (Its down hill from here to there)

How does Brazil move crops 1350miles by truck over less than interstate quality roads?

@ $3 a bu freight cost down there, gotta raise corn pretty cheap to avoid being sent a bill to raise it.

Local gavilon terminal was shut off from dumping beans two weeks ago, got in a train and now is almost full again.

Local coop announced "free dp" Monday on corn...sent text little bit ago FULL BY NOON TODAY.

Grain semis on the move...

Senior Advisor

Re: Hey EC....

Yeap Ray -- it's all that dang corn there shipp'n' in from that foreign country call Ioway !!!!!!!!!!!  lol -- No just kidiing there - but thats a good question - No corn coming in that I know of - they do discount on Vomy corn thought - and there's a lot of that , 10 cent premimun on corn with less than 1 percent and a nickel for 2 % or less - this is for Cardinal at Union City IN 

cash bid 3.80 + a dime - IF its 1 % vomy   NOW - here's were Ken has screwed up already - I could have done a basis for + 25 a few months ago for feb - IF I would have done that then I would be selling for 4.15 today - I picked up the phone 2 or 3 tines to set it - YET - I dumbed around and missed it = D.A attack ! lol 

I really do wonder how spring weather will effect all that corn under tarps in some lo- cal's and in storage - as many did not dry there corn to save costs - and that may be the worst thing you could have done - as Vomy corn needed to be shelled early - hot and dried down to atleast 14 % - a lt of 16 to 17 % sitting around - When it do's warm up the vomy will start growning - may be some really juck corn out there . 

On the flip side - a lot of corn is moving - most are afraid to keep it around - so ??? June - July may get interesting around here .

Senior Advisor

Market go' s Up -- Basis go's down .

Honored Advisor

Ray is the guy for those questions but it seems to me that the simple answer to that issue in "Who owns the grain when it goes into a box car or a ship?"

Time and distance and freight are certainly involved in the decision.  But since most grain in transit now (train or ship) belongs to a multinational Corporation.. In some respects, it is not export or import, but is just in transit from one part of Gavalonia or Cargilia to another location in the corporation, dictated by a profit motive in all locations.

This is primarily why the "talk" and "promises" of politicians and entertainment news don't have the impact they think they have.

Remember the big moves to unitrain locations....... pretty much blocked a producer from sending three cars of corn to NC.... or even a small coop.... part of that "big get bigger" campaign we been on.  

Senior Advisor

LOL sw your right - they moved to 65 car units here years ago - now there gone and it's 90 cars - dang that hurt there - I only have room to load out 75 at a time .  Smiley Happy

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

The real agervation in this deal ECIN is that they are nice enough to offer that high fancy basis in Camilla Georgia where they know there is not much corn to be bought, so they can mark up corn sold based on a much higher price...   And the government and press fight over who said what on a private call that is just a distraction and never consider the possibility of price fixing in Georgia...... The government and our exchange practices need a lot more adjusting to global trade than just "going digital".

I wonder how much this process distorts the projection process at usda.......

Exports and imports are not adjusted by processed grain (or don't appear to be)  like when corn leaves the country as DDG's or Packaged Beef.  Gluten pellets?  etc etc.

Just to give jim a chance to point out a conspiracy theory,,,,,,,,,,,,, Trucking is not far behind trains in squeezing out the producers options to market.  If that cargo has to cross a state line and we live by the Federal trucking regulations which do not recognize local agriculture once it becomes interstate commerce..... Twice in my life I have hauled our production across two state lines in order to fight a local basis monopoly squeeze..... imagine $1.10 basis difference in a 70 mile distance.  But if interstate commerce rules are applied it is difficult to make that haul....

Until recent years the three states honored each others farm transportation rules...... But now that the feds want to control everything we have a problem and the basis issues reappear..

Senior Advisor

Did alittle goggle map work - dang - Camilla, Georgia is 725 miles from here - at 930 bus x .58 cent diff from there price to mine thats 539.40  divided by 725 miles - thats only 74 cents a mile trucking - will keep an eye on that thought - may call my boys in Southern KY or TN and see what there paying - get that up to like 2 bucks a loaded mile and bring back a load then that won't be to bad ! Thanks hobby - you got my wheels going again ! Smiley Happy

Veteran Advisor

backhaul some Vidalia onions?????