Senior Contributor

Million Dollar rains?

How widespread are the rain events? If this keeps up for a month, won't we, American corn farmers, make a whole lot more money than any timely planting?

I know I could welcome a run up in the corn market to the $4.50 to $5.00 range, and make some real, amigo, money.

How about the rest of you? would you rather harvest 200 bushels per acre, and go broke, or 160 or so and make money?

Senior Advisor

Re: Million Dollar rains?

I Never run for second place - I will take my chances with the bigger yields - I hate to shell chitty corn - You may be right - in the 160's - Yet there may be some places that reaps the benefits  from the lower yields - That is why it is what it is - And for the most part - IF it was wet - Most corn - when it drys up - will go in in a week - Better hope for 2 months : )

Advisor

Old Kenny taking his chances with bigger yields, and hoping the rest of us can't get in the field.    lmao.   Ken wants all his basis covered.   300 bu/acre and $ 5.00.    and knowing his luck..he might just pull it off.

Highlighted
Advisor

We have 20-30% chances of showers for the next week.  It's hard to tell how much of that will come to pass.  The soil is working pretty well around here.  I was out today until I got rained out.  It will only take a day to get back in the field.  I'd guess some will be planting next week.

I'll take the bushels and take my chances with the prices.

Honored Advisor

We live or fail with production. Not marketing
Honored Advisor

Honored Advisor

Only those selling marketing services will tell you different
Senior Contributor

What good is 5 or even 10 dollar corn if you have none to sell? The 2012 market was an exceptional weather year in my area. 200 bu + avg and I pulled several trailer loads at 9 dollars. I've had 50 bushel corn sold at 4 bucks once upon a time as well. I have to side with Ken.... every one else takes the hit and the fortunate ones reap the spoils.
Honored Advisor

For what it`s worth, in this area, hands down and by far our worse crops have come from too much rain.   I will roll the dice hoping for a drought and cursing the rain every year, if we do ever get a dry spell, usually it`s a wet spring and the "drought" comes in August..which is worse than a good old fashioned wall to wall drought. 

But the "2012" drought many didn`t like was my personal best year farming, grossing $1400/acre.  2009 and 2013 some wet years relatively were bad years because of the wet and that "wet" had Chicago hammering prices, that was a double whammy.  Many in 2013 (away from this zip code) thought it was their best year...If every year was like 2013 around here, I`d seriously think about quitting  Smiley Happy

But, would I rather have $3 corn and 200bu or 150bu and $4 corn, the gross being the same?  I selfishly would take the 150bu/$4 corn, because it would lower the carryover for next year, hopefully giving better pricing opportunities, less fertility leaving my land, less hauling and drying expense.  Also perhaps a shot at a small claim on RA insurance  Smiley Wink

Senior Contributor

Agreed 2012 was the highlight of my career. 150bpa at 7.50$ first year I thought farmers received compinsation for their work. Now we know why they can't let that happen every year. Everybody and their brother thought they could become farmers. Rent skyrocketed fertilizer went through the roof and seed companies literally told you they had gold for sale. What's the old saying damned if you do damned if you don't .