Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Contributor
DodgeRam

Mizzu

Do I sell now for a profit or gamble?  

Senior Contributor
bkadds

Re: Mizzu

I am not MZT, but am gambling. The tax situation makes things fuzzy for me. However, unless it rains, I could see a lot of demand destruction and still have better prices. Just my gut feeling, but am sticking to it.
Contributor
DodgeRam

That's my gut as wthere there is a reason basis is higher now than later.  Going to keep 40 for later.

Senior Contributor
farmer46

As always pay all outstanding bills, then next years inputs, and then depending on what levels of risk you are comfortable with, sell or hold. I believe strongly the market must go higher to ration demand.  Without higher prices, demand could outstrip supply.  Then, I believe we are in unknown area in prices. As always, small sales as the market goes up are winners.

Senior Contributor
highyields

Unseen highs maybe the case for soybeans but I'm not sure on corn.  Corn demand needs to pickup and soon,  without wheat over 9 or close to ten I really don't see any use of corn going to 8.50.   Wheat market is dependent on feed wheat supplies world wide AND the need for the Black sea region and Russia's export band.   That being said if the demand for ethanol stays then we could see a basis rally for corn.   

I still think soybeans will rally to $20 wiith in the next couple years.  Demand from china, supply issues and the fact that $17 dollars IS NOT 2.5 times higher then the $8.50 high on corn.  

Frequent Contributor
bigrock4076903

Re: 2013 corn - anybody selling?

I have not sold a bushel of next year's crop. I just don't get too excited about the 2013 fall prices i see with the very preliminary weather concerns in the corn belt and the low carryover into next year's crop. Also, after seeing farmers burned so badly selling a crop they didn't have, I am hesitant to put myself in that spot. I never sell more than 50% anyways. should I be selling some? MT - you have said in the past to be scaling in sales, on the big picture, what are your thoughts? what are others doing?
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: 2013 corn - anybody selling?

I haven't sold a single bushel of 2013.  I liquidated 100% of 2012 crop, but purchased call options to set a floor.  Once we start to see a movement trend, I will liquidate options to recover additional revenue or limit my losses.  Any way, I've got money in the bank with downside protection.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Been outta the box.......u talking 2012 or 2013

Frequent Contributor
bigrock4076903

2013 crop.  just seems like there is a whole lot more upside than downside for fall 2013 sales when considering the price, lack of carryover, lack of world supplies and extremely early weather concerns.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Hate to be the devils advocate here but you can't totally ignore the fact that new crop corn prices have been nearly $1 to $1.50 higher than previous dec-jan years. The $6.50 area at least lifts an eyebrow as a place to start on a small scale.

sw