Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Reader
jnstoll

Motorcycle Crop Tour 2013

Long time lurker, first time poster.:smileyhappy:

Took a motorcycle ride from northwest Ohio to Denver, Colorado.

The route: I-69 to route 24 to Peoria, Ill 116 to route 34, route 75 to route 36 the pony express route to Denver, back to 36 and 24 home.  Wanted to get to 36 quicker but it was raining in Kansas on August 10 and decided to take route 34 across southern Iowa.

We are off to a good start in Ohio.  Would not trade with anyone at this time.  We had 70 bu wheat this summer.  Not 100, but I will take it. A lot of the kernels were on the ground due to heavy rain.  Wheat was sprouted, but the elevator did not dock.

The stand is there all along the route.  That is the first step to a good crop.  Between Monticello and Peoria, the crops look late.  The bean rows do not quite cover the ground.  It is hard to access Ill, because everything to me looks great.  I will let the experts determine if it is a bumper crop.  By the way, I would trade any two sections of dirt between Monticello and Peoria.  Towards the Ill line there must be a string of windmills 30 miles long in that stretch of good dirt.

In central Iowa crops look dry.  I do not know if yield will be affected.  The Ottumwa region has more CRP ground than I would have guessed. Crop conditions looked moist along route 75 in Nebraska.  From about halfway in Kansas to Denver, conditions are dry.  In some places, the corn is a disaster.  We saw what looked like the “weed” growing in Colorado.  We stopped at the Anton Coop and they said it was millet.  Looked it up and it is sometimes used for bird seed.  Anton said that the wheat averaged 20 bu due to dry conditions.  By the way, you cannot buy the weed in Colorado yet because they are still working out the details.  They say that things will be worked out by Jan 1.  Now, you have to bum it off someone.  The next ag crop!:smileysurprised:

Took route 36 across Missouri, and crop conditions look dry.

That is my little assessment.  I know it is a narrow strip, but wanted to report.  Did not see conditions like what I have read about in northern Iowa.

Returned home same and sound. 

NWOHOG
Senior Contributor
too close for comfort

Re: Motorcycle Crop Tour 2013

I was at the Precision Planting meeting last week near Peoria. I didn't walk out in their regular fields but their test plots are not going to set records. They look great, nice and green, but they are 98 day corn that was replanted because of flooding and they are behind, about half way though pollination. They suffered from some N deficientcy and they had to fly on their sidedress. I'm not saying that all the corn down there is like that but their test plots were. They will probably have some of the best 98 day corn in the neighborhood.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Thank you jnstoll,

And welcome,  we been missing ya.

sw
Veteran Reader
jnstoll

That is safe and sound.  Already fooled the spell checker.

NWOHOG
Senior Contributor
Slim123

jnsroll:   Welcome to the Agriculture.com.

Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

Motorcycle tour sounds fun. Been years since I had one. Just drove my grain truck to town to get some lumber. Some of my neighbor's fields that look good in a car don't look so good from a vehicle that you can see over the top of the corn.