Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Frequent Contributor
north ia farmer

NIA update

I would say there is going to be alot of corn put in the ground in NIA this week.Talking some rain Wed and looks great rest of week.If weather holds I would say 85% of the corn in NIA will planted a week from today. Now what kind of B-S is market eye going to have to talk about when all this corn gets planted? Could it be drought,early frost or farmers forgetting to put seed in planter.I'm sure he will have some kind of B-S to report.

good luck and have a safe planting season 

Senior Contributor
SouthWestOhio

Re: NIA update

I'm glad you guys are getting er done. Over here in Ohio most of us are still staring at our fields that are almost dry enough to enter. But then a look at the radar and forecasts for 2" in the next two days, well we are just sitting here.

Advisor
nwobcw

Southwest  we are similar in NW Ohio.  Maybe not quite as bad from what I've seen on radar the past week.  I've been checking the planter stem to stern and it gets more expensive with every look.  Over 2 K spent on a 6/11 and there's probably more wrong if I look hard enough.  No-tilling in this heavy ground sure takes it's toll on parts.

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

I call BS I am here just a little south of your sweet corn patch and we won't get that much in the ground for sure. Around Garner all the ditches are running full herein wesley the ground is fit in most places but every field has a wet spot or two that is slow to drain. We burrued a manure spreader this week. I have seen some planting inthe past coule of days but the ground wasn't fit to be planted into . A few guys were going yesterday afternoon. but the ground is cold and wet. We should get going this next week but I really don't want to this cold ground is gonna be hard on things.36 degrees here this morning.

This story has a lot of leg left. Doesn't mean prices go up just means that corn planting isn't gonna go real fast. This wetter ground is gonna have real intersting yield reports this summer. Ground worked wet in the spring tends to take drought very porley.

Veteran Contributor
sonoma72

NIA,

We went from "have no idea when we would plant," to will be done with corn mid week, wed or thur, in quite possibly the best conditions ever.  I would guess a lot of Nebraska will be planted by Mothers day.   For us, I always figure this is the best week for corn planting, and this year is no different. 

Senior Contributor
rawhide

dont know where you are but in southeast indiana we wont get on the ground for a week if it quit raining. mowed yard yesterday and made a mess

Frequent Contributor
north ia farmer

Wow JR I think we might plant the SWEET CORN PATCH this afternoon and then on to field corn.Worked some ground yesterday afternoon and should be ready . Hell I think it was Mother day's last year we have a frost and most corn was out of ground and took a good hit and we still had record yields sure isn't going to grow in the bag and it's May 1 so might as welll put in the ground but then you dairy guys have a way to make things happen so maybe yours will grow in the bag.

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

What a hoot! My income mostly comes from the "bag" but I do think we get a rolling start this week just don't think 85% but then again with all the 24,36 and 48 row planters aropuind here who knows maybe we will be all done by next weekend. Still doesn't mean we hit LDP's this fall. ( Not that I would complain mind ya)

I don't figure to be done till after first cutting as I got one field of hay I am gonna cut and then plant back to silage corn. Who knows maybe the comic book will be right and we grow 165?

BTW if you grow that swet corn real well why not have a few of us up to help eat some?  I'll give you advice on where to add on to the wife's house with this next years profits! HE HE

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Well

I wouldn't say the dust is flying, but corn is going in the ground...........lets just say I would like to see it drier underneath..........but its working...........don't know if it is a mistake or not, neither do the guys that planted 2-3 weeks ago............that corn is still underground..............

Staying on lighter ground today and tomorrow................some others out running, its just now fit and we have been "lucky" and missed the big rains............you don't have to go very far in any direction and its WET..........and just pulled up radar and we are just barely hanging on...........

This market is very long in the tooth and looking for a reason to run lower..............and with some progress in certain areas and a near term forecast that has little yellow circles on it...........it might try, but then it will pan over and down and see that a good chuck of IL, IN, OH, KY, TN, AR are getting pounded again..........and then they wiil scroll up and see that it snowed pretty good up north this weekend.............and then then will look at the 5 day temps and realize thats bad for the 2-3 week old corn thats in the ground and not good for areas wanting to dry out...........and then it will turn around and realize that the pile of corn and soya in the backyard is getting smaller by the day.............

Well happy planting.......

Frequent Contributor
north ia farmer

Re: Well

A good afternoon of planting and with things set we will hit it hard till the next rain event.Some are saying they need another day of drying.I would hate to be a spreader operater as there are going to be some very upset planter waiting for there N needs.Tiger all we need is for NIA area to get it's acres planted and we can take care of most corn needs.Did you see the NEWS they finally  got that --  Bin Laden?Maybe are fuel price will drop.

Hope you get your corn in the ground this week