Community Manager
marketeye

Nasty Nor'easter

[ Edited ]

Slideshow: I'm making an Eastern Corn Belt swing to visit Marketing Talk members and try to find out what kind of crop is out here. I overshot the ECB and ran into a Nor'Easter. Corn and soybeans are buried out here. It's the worst southcentral Pennsylvania snowstorm on record, for the month of October.

Look what I found. Wow!

Mike

Senior Contributor
clayton58

Re: Nasty Nor'easter

Wow, interesting pics.  what percent of crops would you say are haevested in PA?  I grew up in Chester Co.  Still have relatives farming there.

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

YUK!

We have a chance of snow here, early next week.  I don't think I'll have my corn out by then.  Hope it is nothing like that.

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

Watched that storm go just south of the lakes yesterday.

lots of beans still out in Ontario too especially closer to Lake Erie and south of London.

Corn harvest is just starting to ramp up here.

Good yields, higher moisture than we would like and some reports of mould and therefore toxins probably.

Ours appears clear of mould but we are not sure how wet the late planted corn from 1st of June planting will be. Will leave that till last.

May slow things down waiting for driers to catch up.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

canuck, or blacksand,

Is it common in your area to harvest corn late on frozen ground?? 

Was through yrs ago in Feb. and saw corn still standing.

sw
Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Normally guys are midway or better on corn by now. We still have a few fields of soybeans in the area ready to harvest. This is the latest harvest I can remember. I would say its later than the 2009 harvest that took a long time due to high moisture corn. Yesterday we got a thunderstorm with a little hail, that is unusual for this time of year. I don't think the hail was big enough to cause any damage but its still worth mentioning. I have a friend who farms in Hillsdale county Michigan, the county to my east who usually plants around 300 acres of winter wheat that only has 40 acres seeded. That will be the story for a lot of guys in this area as the rains just wont let up.

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

Not sure what is common any more.

I actually live in an area that is considered 'the snow belt'

we get more snow from lake effect of Lake Huron, many years.

Overwintering corn is not a good practice here.

Used to be people south of London  towards Windsor who would just work away all winter whenever it was frozen.

That said we would usually like to be done corn by Oct 31st but it does not often happen.

We have 2 children with birthdays in Nov. 17th and 23rd

We were still doing corn both of those years '72 & '75 when I had to take a day off.

We have been too wet to do much lately and got going last Friday, late for starting but corn is wet.

Lowest tests so far are 26% and the June planted corn we got into tonight was 33.5%

Going to a different field next will hope the late planted dries a little.

Are getting excellent yields.

1 field went in a drier bin and by scale on buggy went over 11 t/ha and that was calculated out dry. Will double check by measuring the bin when corn is dry and transferred to storage.

there are still beans out in this area, we were lucky to finish ours on Thanksgiving Monday and all wheat planted although it is coming up uneven because of the wet cool ground. Not a good start for 2012 wheat but then lots have little planted especially in Kent Essex and Lambton counties. 

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.