Advisor
c-x-1

Re: New Trading Hours

I wonder who the 745 - 830 am break is for?

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

The Dunkin donuts, and Starbucks man.
60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Advisor
c-x-1

the idea of doing away with the morning break, i thought, was to level playing field with ALL other financial markets-----now, they bring it back??

Is it a nostalgia kinda thingy perhaps?

Community Manager
marketeye

It's the day of trading hour changes. Now, the Minneapolis Grain Exchange has announced new trading hours. On Tuesday, the MGEX released the following statement:

MGEX, a Designated Contract Market (DCM) and Derivatives Clearing Organization (DCO), today announced new trading hours for futures and options contracts in the Hard Red Spring Wheat (HRSW) and Index contracts beginning with the Monday, April 8, 2013 trade date, pending CFTC review.
The new trading hours for HRSW are as follows:
•    Sunday to Friday, electronic trading from 7:00 p.m. to 7:45 a.m. CT;

•    Monday to Friday, break in electronic trading from 7:45 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. CT;

•    Monday to Friday, electronic trading and open outcry options from 8:30 a.m. to
1:30 p.m. CT. The contract settlement period for HRSW will be 1:14:00 p.m. to 1:14:59 p.m. CT.
The new trading hours for all Index contracts will be Sunday to Friday, 7:00 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. CT.
Additionally, the cash market hours at MGEX become 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. CT Monday through Friday.
Trading hours for the Apple Juice Concentrate (AJC) contract remain unchanged from Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. CT.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Advisor
c-x-1

This helps a lot Mike. Time to consider trading Apple Juice Concentrate.:smileywink:

No, thanks for ALL you do!!

c-x-1

Contributor
sschevelle33

I did not like the hours now, but got use to it. I like these hours much better. The volume will end up being the same. I really thought USDA reports during open trade was a bad idea and was going to be an HFT nightmare, but now I like having the reports during trading. These limit moves due to big funds trading other people's money was nerve racking and the HFT's are actually helping balance out the volume trying to pick up their pennies. Let's the little guy in or out of a position by watching the trade. I don't even read the reports till late morning. Now I watch the fireworks and twitter in the first minute for direction and make sure I have sufficient margin to ride out the volatility. Been working great for me as a trader. As a producer, who cares because those decisions are made on daily, weekly charts, and basis. Let the traders duke it out minute by minute and worry about producing a good crop.
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Mike maybe we have a few hard core traders who haven't had much sleep during the old new trading hours.  :smileyhappy:

sw
Advisor
giolucas

Sw,

Unfortunately, when I try to hit a homerun, once a month, I trade heavier.   I do not know what it is but I get up at 3:00 a.m. to see if my asterisk is still there.   

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Gio, 

I guarantee you------------ I understand.

The idea that the 3 a.m. jump or dip is controlled by somebody other than the folks I have a little confidence in,  unnerves me also.

If i check at 3 then I gotta find the reports that back it up.

Anyway I said it with a little humor, but with much of my humor there is a serious or ironical side.

I was not comfortable with the "all night"/"cater to the world" hours from the start.

We have the reliable production and the most reliable trading forum.  Let the world come to us if they want the use of our marketing.

That is what we had---- what more were we to gain.

Get some rest, Gio  :smileyhappy:  ---------------- I feel for the guys who are trading the rollercoaster we have.  Opportunities are there but the predictability and dependability is not.

sw
Advisor
giolucas

[ Edited ]

Thanks SW,  

That is why I trade 2 or 3 days out of the week.  I wait for an opportunity,   The other days I just read, and read and study the market.