Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Now it's a drought

Up until now it hasn't been a drought BUT it is now 11 days since our last rain. Down here in South Podunk Country we are always just 10 days away from a drought and this is day 11.

Yesterday afternoon went to bale hay and had to take the swather off of the tractor with the baler brain box in it and there on top of the swather under the shielding was one of the drive belts...shreaded...chit. I had 20 acres of oats and hay that had to be mowed yesterday and was going to bale then mow. WRONG.

Instead of baling went for a 40 mile drive to the new belt store at Mt Ayr, Ia. The pastures ALL the way there looked like dry Aug pastures.
The corn and beans were from no visible problems to next year will be a better year (next year country syndrome).

I love that battery powered 1/2" impact wrench, 25ish 9/16 shield bolts just zip, and no air hose to string or fight.

The cracks in the ground are available for a two inch rain.

Yep it is now an "official" drought

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Advisor
rayjenkins

Re: Now it's a drought

What is the "new belt store" in Mt Ayr??

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

'Looks like August', pretty well sums it up.

What I am seeing here, is the conventional planted crops, especially the beans, are starting to look better than the no-till.  Wondering if it is just a local thing, or if it is more widespread.

Veteran Contributor
centralillinois

I no-till the majority of my soybeans but my 80 year old uncle insists that I chisel his cornstalks and plant beans in worked ground.  He's pointed out a number of times how much better his beans look than the ones I no-tilled.  After we planted we received very little rain and the beans planted into worked ground came up easier.  I don't know if this will impact yield but you can tell the difference from the road.The no-till beans were planted into hard ground and just didn't seem to have the push.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

[ Edited ]

Ray J: "the new belt store" is the Vetter CaseIH dealership (I have a New Holland 1431 swather... same as the newer CNH).

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Advisor
rayjenkins

if I remember, a cousin of mine runs the NAPA store on south side of square...

corn in Oskaloosa/Knoxville area started to look "different" on the lighter soils and slopes yesterday......if the heat persists through the weekend, the Iowa crop ratings may be joining the the others in sharp decline on next Monday's report....

heading into NE Missouri for a look at things shortly....

Senior Contributor
Wind

I'm seeing the same thing here in central IA.  The conventional planted beans seemed to have jumped out the the ground and are taller than the no-till.  That  really may not mean a thing when the combines roll.  

Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

DSC03550.JPG

No Hobby, THIS is a drought. Above: some of my corn.

DSC03551.JPG

To prove it's not just my corn, I took this photo just down the road. Notice the burned up grass along the waterway next to the corn. Everything here is either dead or dying. Eleven days w/o rain? Try being 8" below avg. rainfall.

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

SouthWest of Broken Bow, NE, there are dryland fields that wish they looked as good as the pic from Blacksand.

Locally, we got 2 rains in the last 34 days, one was .25", the other .35', and have been 19 days without a rain of more than .05.

To add insult to injury, right now it is noon, and already 99 degrees out.  Highest so far this year was about 2 weeks ago, when it was 113 actual degrees (115 SW of here, in the McCook area).  At least the wind blows, to keep people and cows from dying.

The only thing saving the crops, is the humidity.  The worst day, it was between 85 and 88 degrees, about a half hour befroe sunset, and the dew fell.  In about 20 seconds, my shirt was soaked with sweat.

Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Neb this post was in no way disrespect to Hobbyfarmer.. Its just funny to see or hear others versions of drought this year. My corn is starting to tassel even though you can't see it in the picture. Its 98 degrees here today.... My corn is some of the better looking corn around here so I doubt USDA will be getting ANY of its 166 bu yield from my area.