Frequent Contributor

Re: One local

This just proves that all of you who comment on here about how mega farms are taking over all agriculture, are wrong. 

Honored Advisor

When your pretty sure your right, it doesn't take much to prove the theorem.

Stay on campus....... 

Honored Advisor

Ok,

Can you name 5 startups, in the 160 to 400 acre range?

In that same area how many 2000+ acre operations are expanding by that same number of acres?
Veteran Advisor

[ Edited ]

Exactly.  Zero new startups around here, all are expansions, biggest ones keep getting bigger.  Personally, I gave up close to 25% of my least profitable rental ground, was surprised how fast it got sucked up by someone else. 

Honored Advisor

He only knows what he is taught  and research tells him ......

It is obvious there's no research... by anybody writing opinion these days

So he will go home with a degree in personal thoughts.. hopefully to his tent in the wilderneww to redesign the North American infrastructure.

Frequent Contributor

I'm not in college anymore.  I'm 25 years old I hold two college degrees, as well as a masters in business. Started farming nine years ago when i was in high school.  I own a 50% share of two 2400 head finisher hog barns.  I'm a 20% owner in customer manure hauling operation where we haul 20 plus million gallons a year. i bought 80 acres two years ago, and farm over 500 hundred.  As well as having a full time business anaylst job at one of the largest agriculture dealerships in the midwest. 

In my area alone three 1500+ acre farmers have dried up. Two went broke one retired.  I know for certain that four 400-600 acre farmers each picked up land in that deal.  Stop complaining and saying the world is gonna end just because there are big farmers out there.  Big companies can go broke as well, Lehman brothers, Bear Stearns, GM, Ford.

Why haven't you been complaining about Ford and GM getting to big for the last 25 years?  I'm sure no one could enter the car market and succeed.......Oh wait Tesla has been proving that for years.

Large farms can still fail....This farm in ND is proof.

Honored Advisor

Good luck, welcome aboard.

I still don't see many new starts of more than 80's (menonities and Amish ) we are gaining literally dozens of both in this area.

Other than organic free range eggs, not gonna feed the masses.

Not the knowledge base left in the upcoming generation still in school to take the bull by the horns and create a farm of their own.

Veteran Advisor

Iowa.....let me get this stright.....

you have several degrees

you are a business anylsis

yet you are investing more into agriculture ????........

that ag equipment dealership your at....wouldn't happen to be Titian ???  Smiley Tongue

best investment.......the sewage sucking business  (ever watch the red green show ?)  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

No it is not Titan.  And yes i am investing more into Agriculture.

Frequent Visitor

"Good luck, welcome aboard.

I still don't see many new starts of more than 80's (menonities and Amish ) we are gaining literally dozens of both in this area.

Other than organic free range eggs, not gonna feed the masses.

Not the knowledge base left in the upcoming generation still in school to take the bull by the horns and create a farm of their own."

Start-Ups don't have to "feed the masses" out of the gate. Its not like a start up is finding new acres that weren't in production before (unless they are in Hawaii by the ocean and volcanoes). And the next generation has plenty of knowledge on how to run a farm operation. I'm sure when your generation was taking over the previous generation had the same thoughts, "How can these young whipper snappers know enough to take over a farm?" I agree expereince is a great, if not the best, teacher but age does not necessarily equal intelligence.

And investing more into ag during this downturn could be a pretty good business decision. Its cyclical just like many other businesses and getting in now during the low could mean cashing in big during the next high.