Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
ShelladyOptions

OptionEye.....Aug 28th

Well, it hardly feels like the dog days of summer.

Good action in both corn and bean options yesterday. And, to add to the foray, the CME raised margins for corn and soybean futures.

NWS's midday forecast showed some increased rain yesterday which helped to take the shine off things all day. After an almost 5% jump in soybean prices Monday, soybeans settled back yesterday. Corn fell 2.8%.

This is definitely the weather market most traders wanted except for the fact that most traders aren't' around right now. A big vacation week has added to the volatility.

This morning, beans are down about 3 cents, corn is down 1 cent and wheat down 2. We have hovered around unchanged a lot to the evening session. Yesterday, as was the case Monday, huge put buyers in corn driving up the price of all puts and raising volatility once again.

The rest of the world is also falling apart. The Syrian issues have heightened tensions driving up crude to the highest level in two years. Crude is up $1.37 to $110.38. Gold up too at $1423.78 which is up $8.69. An expected military action the main driver. The 10 year is also a benefactor as a flight to quality drives the 10 year yield to 2.73%.

The debt ceiling, Obamacare, a new Fed chair and the Taper Talk have got equities on the run as well. The Dow was down 170 pts yesterday and looks to open slightly lower at the time of writing.

Again, I expect another volatile, weird day as the thin volumes and lack of traders makes the trade pretty hairy.

Senior Contributor
ShelladyOptions

Re: OptionEye.....Aug 28th

OI in corn down hard y'day. 23K across the curve yesterday and since the 19th down 10% or 125K contracts.

Spec shorts are just about gone.

Community Manager
marketeye

Scott,

Can you tell us what the new margins are?

Thanks,

Mike

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

OptionEye, I left you a question on another thread in the Marketing section, if you have an extra minute, would you be willing to take a look at it? It is titled "OptionEye -- A question for you". Thanks.
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Sorry Shaggy  - But Scott don't read your chit -- lol

Here let me help you out some

Hey Scott -- Some dude from Kansass asked you some  D.A  question about a shortage of laughing gas - guess he's worried about talking like Tiny Tim ---  lol

Could you check it out - please --

Thanks a million ole buddy

Ken

Senior Advisor
sw363535

No shortage on Ag.com

:smileyhappy:

sw
Advisor
c-x-1

Mike,

cmegroup hasn't published any margin increases for C/B as of 11:30 CDT.

in fact, cmegroup lowered bean margin around the first or second week of Aug???

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Heckle all you want ECIN but this could lead to a big deal, A VERY BIG DEAL. Not just my job, but not very many of today's major purchases can withstand an absence of helium for very long. If it does happen, there won't be very many of us laughing.
Senior Advisor
sw363535

Shaggy I been reading about this after you perked my interest this morning.

Very interesting since it is so close to our gas field and I drive by the helium plant at Liberal, ks pretty often.

If we made a list of the responsibilities congress has tried to get out of over the last 20 years and compared it to the new things it wants to regulate ,,,,,,,,------------- well it is just a head shaker.

sw
Senior Contributor
BF2012

Helium can be extracted from Natural Gas.....last I checked we had some of the largest reserves in the world.....and if it weren't for our corrupt POS Govt, they'd be extracting helium and making Anhydrous Ammonia and get the cost down....so we could grow corn cheaper. 

Also, the article explained that the Government had been selling Helium Reserves below market price to industry....uhhh...that would be double speak code to selling it cheap to campaign contributors.

I don't know about helium, but for hot air you could tap into this message board for an infinite supply.