Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

Palouser/ anyone in Ohio--- fusarium

What's the latest on fusarium blight of wheat in Ohio? Is the crop total junk? The southwest of me in ontario is apparently under severe outbreak: excluding far south areas.

I'm seeing some in mine: so pressure was too high... Going to go to blow kernels out and combine at high moisture now.

That Canuck guy was right bout infection... I just hope I don't lose grade: never seen fusarium take hold.
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

Re: Palouser/ anyone in Ohio--- fusarium

They are saying bad vomitoxin around here. Haven't heard anything about fusarium.
Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

VOM and fusarium are the same thing. Good thing you sprayed buck. You still may have trouble though
Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

Buck;

Fusarium is the fungal disease also known as 'scab' or 'head blight'

This disease produces toxins or at least can produce toxins.

The toxins have fancy names but are often referred to as  vomitoxin.

You can see the mould on the kernals of wheat as they become pink.

Pink kernals are suspect but the DON or toxin level is the real problem.

Infected wheat is not safe to use for human food and also can not be used for pigs.

Chickens and cattle can use a fair bit in their ration.

Toxin levels are quite low for consumption by humans so it becomes feed wheat quickly and pigs can not even eat it so really becomes cattle feed mostly.

It can reduce your income quite a bit and I have seen levels well over 20% where they do not even want to call it wheat just cheap pink cattle feed.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Veteran Contributor
NABFarmer

Curious as to where you acquire your seed wheat from? And what is Ontario's policy in terms of cleaning fusarium infected wheat for use as seed? With it looking like fusarium is spreading quickly due to the practice of cleaning infected seed I'm curious. In Alberta we have a zero tolerance although some plants are turning a blind eye in infected areas. Our local plant requires all grain to be tested before it enters the plant. I have to say for the life of me I can't understand people who would clean infected seed for use on their farms.
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

The two loads I sold so far have been 2-3% vom. They said that was some of the best they've seen. wheat that wasn't sprayed is docked heavily or rejected. Second load that was 3 was docked $.20. Btw not sure that number is % or ppm or some other measurement.
Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

I will likely be able to answer how fusarium is discounted better in a week or so when we start harvest.

Have not been bothered with it for a few years now but I think they do a count of kernals to come with a %. Maybe by weight but I think the kernal count is correct as infected kernals are light that is why you can blow some of them out in combine.

I think % is very low in Ontario as I remember complaints of wheat being downgraded to feed to pay farmers in Ontario but elevators then able to deliver into the US market at higher prices because your grades allowed a higher %.

Quick search for grade tables here and all I found is one that says less than 1% Grade #2 less than 1.5% for Grade #3 and over 1.5% = feed

If my memory is correct when it goes over 10% they call it sample, not even feed grade.

Discount on price for #3 is listed as $10/tonne. Can be sprouts or other reasons for #3 too.

No listed discount for feed. It may be market determined each year.

One year we had wheat at 20+% as high as 50% in some samples/loads and they did not even call it wheat for marketing.

Could not sell it for a while until at least one elevator found a market for it and called it just 'cheap pink cattle feed. '

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

I usually buy my seed, keep some when years are good quality.

Do not know what the regulations are but when they put the seed treatment on it you never know.

As for infection spreading I think it is in the soil and can infect other crops too with correct conditions.

Corn is another crop that can be imapcted, makes it bad for pig feed too.

Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

If treated preplant it's fine.
Contributor
Allan Ont.

Quote :

"Pink kernals are suspect but the DON or toxin level % is the real problem."

To the best of my knowledge, the % of pink and  or shrunk light kernels is only a rough indication of a % toxin problem. Its the % of actual toxin level that is the most important number, therefore, sending a sample away for test results may be helpfull for borderline visual kernel count percents. Then again, I have heard of guys recleaning and blending to up-grade a sample-grade. Some elevators do this for you and even give the farmer the upgrade premium if they are successful.