Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Advisor
hardnox604008

Peak corn, an interesting piece

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/12/40-maps-that-explain-the-world/?hpid=z4

Worth looking through the whole thing, a lot of interesting stuff. But if you're in a hurry the following series that is linked from #27 is of particular interest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/24/is-production-of-key-global-crops-stagn...

Probably should inform policy going forward but in the USA we don't do policy, we do politics.  On the other hand the EU and/or the Scandinavian countries probably do policy better than anybody and that isn't working so well either, at least on the big thing.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Veteran Contributor
fringeacres

Re: Peak corn, an interesting piece

Notable quote , "feeding animals and cars" not feeding people.  

So what are we doing with the animal?

Liberal Vegan communists

This is Merica.

Advisor
hardnox604008

I agree. The US still hasn' come to terms with the fact that our oil output peaked in 1970 and we're currently spinning yarns for ourselves about future energy independence.

As the Dickmeister famously said, "the American way of life is not negotiable."

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Veteran Contributor
mnvtfarm

My favorite meal is a big bowl of number 2 yellow corn, swimming in "soymilk".

The food vs fuel debate has, and always will be a joke.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Nox,

I have been reading this Washington Post presentation this morning.  I spent 1.5 hours on the first 7 maps.  

This is one of the most interesting i have read in some time.

Great post ------------- A young friend of my sons posted it up as something to check out.  I can't wait to get to #27.

sw
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Nox did you notice the map the Russian professor made as a prediction of the future split up of the US?

The Washington Post writer thought that was out of touch and comical.  I didn't find it so comical.  What did you think??

sw
Advisor
hardnox604008

Possibly although the circumstances that would bring such events to bear would probably be a lot more unpleasant that those who dream of such things might imagine.

I can see the benefits of finally getting rid of the confederacy, though. We've been sending our tax money down there for 150 years and I don't see where it got us much.

J.K. Galbraith
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

LOL is what I see in some posts.  

Also I was dissapointed that the minnesota study on grain production(and their concerns over growth keeping up with population growth) did not mention the mining of natural resources ----- like phosphorus, natural gas, or water ------ several such things have a big effect on production.  There is nothing in history that has boosted production like commercial fertilizer did.

sw
Advisor
time:thetippingpoint

Just to add to sw's points about mining the soil, you would all enjoy doing a web search of the change in nutrient content of farm products in the last 50 years. Declining would put it mildly. Even can find proof that feeding cattle seeds instead of grass lowers the nutrient content of the beef. Opps...better delete that.

Another interesting read is Pollan's book, "In Defense of Food". Of course, he actually gives credence to some of the organic funded studies on food quality....gasp...better delete that as well.