Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Pictures of South Podunk Country

Here is a picture of my first planted corn. May 13th

ResizedImage_1370968968610.jpg

here is the same field but looking south at the next farm on the south side farmed poorly by a BTO from 100 miles away. It was beans last year and fall applied nh3. The yellow color is a mature crop of Pennycrest with the next crop of whatever weed you can think of coming up through it.

ResizedImage_1370968984122.jpg

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
hanktbd

Re: Pictures of South Podunk Country

Hobby,

That looks just like most of our corn here in central IL. Planted about the same time also. Somewhere between yellow and chartreuse. A few of the fields are beginning to green up a bit, but nearly everything planted from May 20 thru 23 has half stand at best and most will be torn up or replanted. 

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Actually I have a quite acceptable stand and the color is better than that smart phone is capturing. Two weeks ago it went scrambled gray screen and hasn't done well in anything but sky shots since.

I am/was more worried about a dry stretch in July/Aug so cut the population back to 26500.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
Longcreekfarms

Looks like Hobby has a good stand, if it ever warms up and dries up, but not too much hot and dry! Looks a hell of a lot better than his neighbor's anyway :smileywink:
Senior Contributor
hanktbd

Glad to hear your actual color is better than the pics Hobby. Unfortunately, ours matches the pics color almost perfectly.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

The crops need a few uninterupted days of sunshine But there are showers just west of here.

One good day of sun and warm and I could plant beans.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Hobby that corn doesn't look to shabby. Could it be that this was one of your calibrated farms? LOL
Senior Contributor
NDf

Hobby don't want to rain on the parade, but whats with the gaps in the stand and the uneveness growth?

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

[ Edited ]

Really isn't any gaps except in the smart phone camera. I'll take a real camera out later and get a real pict. It used to do a good job but has really fallen down on the job lately.

But first I have a 20.8 38 rear tire to remount before the showers/rain that looks threatening.  

Senior Contributor
SouthWestOhio

I can't find south podunk on google. Maybe I should try Bing.