Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
ECIN

Planting On Race Day

I was talking to Jeff the other day on the phone , We talked about alittle bit of everything ,  Near the end -- we were talking about the ( Chance ) of later planting - then my old memory's kicked in - The memory was the days of planting on Race Day -- for you folks out there asking what Race Day is -- well my friends , that would be the Indy 500 !

Then while mowing my Yard yesterday for the 4th time this spring - I started thinking about it again , lol  I guess the reason was from all the call's I have got from other farming bubbies about ( Oh dam ! it's getting late ) BUT when I was a LOT younger the goal was to be done or on  raceday - then everything would be OK , BTW Race day is near the end of May .

This was a bad thing of us to be planting on race day ! Reason was -- this --is -- the only day I really want off -- so I could go !  I did not have a brother and neither did my cousin , but we were brothers , and we would head to Indy -- For you that have never been to Indy -- it's a different world ! We would leave around 4:30 -5 am to fight the worlds largest traffic jam at 4790 16th Street .

As you turn off 16th and drop down under the track and then back up -- YOU ARE AT INDY , and then time stops -- for that moment , you forget about NOT being done planting - and really didn't give a ship either !

Well I guess I need to back up alittle here -- back then -- Dad did all the planting - i did the field work as Did my wife when she joined us , Dad didn't care if we went - as long as we had the ground ready to plant -- NO PROBLEM -- lol  We would work longer days before race day and if need be we would work the night before , just for insurance .

The race started back then at 11 am and would be over by 2 - 2:30 then it was haul azz time back here to work more ground , some times that was hard to do -- you can't just go to Indy and not have a beer OR 2 -- lol

Oh yeah - them were the days -- a 656 and a 6 row - then a 966 and a 12 row , then a 1586 and a 1486 , then a 5288, 7130  and then my wifes tractor , a 4960 MFD and 16 row ( she was from a deere famliy and she would only drive a deere )--( I often wonder what i seen in here ) lol

Thank God for the bigger planters -- as I have got ' N' older -- I just don't think that I could work half the night -- Drive to Indy -- have a beer OR 2 -- then drive back and start planting again , lol

I guess all good things have to come to an end , some for the good , so he's hopeing , i never have to listen to OR plant on RACE DAY again !  --- :smileyhappy:

Have a great day !

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Planting On Race Day

not old.jpg

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Contributor
bullrider685114

Back then sitting in the first turn you got to see the seedy underbelly and other things put forth by our   society in the snake Pit. Ever take a walking tour of the legendary infield first turn in it's heyday?

Being done by raceday was our goal too for WC Indiana. Hybrids weren't as advanced then, hence grain dryers, stirators, and lots of wet corn handling. Think 113 day corn will be 18% at harvest this year if it goes in the ground on raceday?

Senior Advisor
ECIN

[ Edited ]

LMAO   bullrider -- We sat in the pits 2 rows up , man that was cool -- short pit wall back then and NO speed limit

We would hit the snake before then back about half way -- MAN OH MAN - that was a trip !  To bad they took it out ,  that was a blast -- then in the early 80's we move to the South  West Vista  -- was just south of the snake , boy themm 10 by 50's could make little tities look pretty big , lol Always !! Alway some how -- some gal would lose her top ,

Haven't been for a fe years -- this year ? May have to go and ? have a few beers -- for old time sakes  :smileysurprised:

BTW bullrider -- some may have that pretty black dirt forty foot deep-- but i won't trade it  for Indy for nothing , lol

Double BTW best guess is 28 instead of 18 on mositure