Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Frequent Contributor
ChaseOrstad

Planting delays are NOT the only thing concerning producers in regard to "yield."

Fertilizer, or lack there of, seems to be a concern in many growing regions. The problem is the small planting window created a huge demand for fertilizer in a very short time period. It is being estimated that US farmers planted about 42 million acres of corn in one week last month, almost twice as much as we would normally ever plant in one week. With many ag retailers forced to draw supplies out of the Gulf or Canada producers are seeing unusually long delays for key crop nutrients like urea and liquid nitrogen. The crop can hang on for a while without any fertilizer, but if producers are forced to wait too long the plant will certainly see some stress and top-end yields could be reduced. Believe it or not many inside the industry think it takes more than 60-days to get fertilizer from its origin into the farmers hands. Point is, you might be seeing a jump in fertilizer prices, not due to lack of supply, but rather logistical constraints. Remember, our goal is to try and stay one step ahead of the crowd, make sure you are skating to where the puck is going to be and not where it is currently at

Excerpt from Van Trump Report

Tear it up fellas what are your thoughts?

Senior Contributor
Longcreekfarms

Re: Planting delays are NOT the only thing concerning producers in regard to "yield."

How many people have their own on farm liquid N storage or other fertilizer storage? I generally top dress my wheat and fill the tanks back up so that I have no concerns when I'm ready to roll with corn. If you are depending on someone else, you're going to get let down eventually...
Veteran Contributor
farm-n-hawk

Re: Planting delays are NOT the only thing concerning producers in regard to "yield."

But it certainly is number "ONE" on the list.

All that other stuff doesn't matter otherwise.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Got done planting yesterday evening. The last 20 should have been PP. could not have planted it with out mfwa. (beans)

The one thing around here is the push to plant and the mud thing in the already planted fields has a rotten little problem besides just yellowing. It is the all RR program ,is cutting into yields here in my area. Too much to do, so little windows of opportunity to do something and late on the calendar. The RR crops that have been planted are not sprayed and are loosing yield and it is raining here now.

I was planting beans yesterday and right across the fence line was a 160 + ac field of corn that has 30 ac of it Underneath a canopy of weeds. Mine is hurting too.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Contributor
captianD

Sorry to hear that Hobby
Senior Contributor
SouthWestOhio

I wonder if the satellite acreage survey will be able to see the corn through those weeds?

Friend
tejinashi

> satellite acreage survey

Which survey is that? Do you have a link?