Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
Wrestler

Planting progress?

What's your opinion? I have expressed mine more than once. The American farmer continues to amaze. Let's hear from all the doubters. 71% planted on corn is still too low. I know of several farmers that are DONE! DONE!  And also a huge chunk of the cornbelt got a rain event on top of everything that went in the ground this week. Yes, some got too much and some didn't get enough, but I feel the weather pattern has changed.

Hope-Fear-Greed.-Which stage are you???

Advisor
c-x-1

Re: Planting progress?

[ Edited ]

indeed impressed. The American Farmer accomplished the same feat 20 years ago! Who might "all the doubters be?"

Could one fall in a stage outside your choices? how 'bout observation or digesting/synthesizing stage!

yes, 25%-30% left to plant could be significant if planting is unable to resume in those areas until after Memorial Day or beg of Jun----with all the rain that's fallen or is forecast over the next week.

Also, with the heat forecast for summer, there is added risk to almost half the crop pollinating in one week, yes?

Yes, amazing to "catch up" so quickly---mother nature provided the window (she's the one to be amazed by, IMHO) and farmers did something they/y'all do best - plant.....botttom line, however is US baseline supply is still at risk. 

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

usda continues to announce long term averages when they do not have real data.

sw
Veteran Contributor
bullrider685114

Re: Planting progress? SW gets it!!!

Where is that info coming from? A poll that each local FSA office fills out each Friday, going to a NASS collection center and tallied. That CED or PT is making a WAG on what the planting progress is. Yeah, planting progress has been phenomenal, and better than it has been. but there are still many acres to go in the ground. And another WAG is that 20 million of those acres went in under way less than ideal conditions. And boys...... you cannot change the calender. Pollination will be in the heat of the summer! Still no remedy for that. PEAK CORN!!!

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

The hobby acreage in Ioway is all planted on the corn side. The last should come out of hiding today. (emerge for you growers)

ONLY 10% planted on the Kansas side of the corn thing (blew a hyd hose last evening). Been waiting for a nice rain event that never happened and insurance deadline is rapidly approaching so... with so little subsoil moisture reserves and very little hope of a crop... the corn guarantee is the one that is going to get trashed. Of course "it might rain". The decision was helped by a couple of factors ...

A) the finding of a seed corn co willing to sell some of their remaining front line hybrids in stock for $30 per 100,000seed bag with a 99% germ on the tag. (never seen a 99% on a hybrid before)  We are planting at 14,000 out there in the desert and that gets the cost of initial investment in the crop down with Milo. and

B) corn does the right thing when it runs out of moisture and dies.

soy and milo will hang on till frost and use any moisture that might happen along in late summer or early fall and still not make a crop but use all moisture till frost.

5 whole acres of beans planted here in Iowa, % wise not worth anything but honorable mention. 3 rain events the last two days..highs in the seventies is going to take a while for a resumption of the bean planting thing. = way less beans per acre than last year here.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Contributor
fringeacres

I will admit I was wrong. Thought the big planters would be like anchors in the mud. These farmers that ran 3 planters to get 2000 acres done have a huge cost of production. I was nervous about justifying a 16 row over a 12 . $180,000  for 3 weeks work a yr. They have over 500,000  for one weeks work. But this year it worked out.That plus land costs leaves me glad I farm the fringe! Good luck to all and praying for tornado victims. 

Senior Contributor
highyields

it doesn't surprise me that we got that much planted...But this is a USDA report.  if the USDA wanted to break the market,  they just didn't report all the acres last week... and now ALL THE SUDDEN THE SUN IS SHINING AND EVERYTHING IS GOOD and their over paid price projectors can be right.    

We have price control, its just hidden in reports...   

Veteran Contributor
bullrider685114

Re: Planting progress? High Yields gets it!

[ Edited ]

Too big too fail corn planters. LOL. Corn planters are not the only investment. The amount of grain storage that has sprouted in the countrysde is phenomenal too. Make your money on the short side while you can. Many factors have come together to make this crop a early must have. Just not shaping up that way. 

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

BTW: my son still has two and a half pallets of corn here that he is planning on planting yet this year.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Advisor
ECIN

I would say in my area that corn would be around 80 %done - mainly the wetter ground yet to go in .

Beans would be around 50 % or alittle more - I should be done ! BUT tractor and planter problems - first time that every happened ! lmao

May 2-3 and 4 corn - looking great around here -  PEAK corn --- hog wash  ! bin buster here we come ! lol

Be safe !

Ken