Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Advisor
Red Steele

Planting with water in the road ditches

You can tell we got wet and never dried out when you just drive around and see the road dtiches with water sitting there...and this was before last night's half inch. I did get 250 acres of corn mudded in, and besides what is still in the planter...about 80 acres worth or less, all the 105 day corn is in the ground for me, and what is left is 99-102 day maturities...so I bought a couple of weeks of time now. Got a front wheel drive planter tractor and 24R planter stuck in mud last night right before the latest rain, and barely got it pulled out with a four wheel drive, breaking two log chains in the process. Maybe time to put an extra note in the collection plate on Sunday...could not imagine having a tractor and planter stuck in standing water today and what I would be feeling.

Years like this, you learn to go in less than ideal conditions...reminds me of what it was like back in those wet 90's years when around here some highly productive land never did get planted as the operators chose to wait for the "right day". One of those years I planted in weeds at night, and sprayed later and got 150bpa plus corn and 50 bushel soybeans while neighers were taking prevented planting.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Re: Planting with water in the road ditches

Had we not gotten this rain, there would`ve been fields here and there ready today(maginally) in NCIA. Albert Lea was getting poured on last night, today Mason City was getting it`s turn.  If it kind of quits now, maybe Monday? But to put it in perspective, less than a week ago we were under a foot of snow. If we hadn`t been in a drought...uff-dah! 

Advisor
Red Steele

We missed out on the snow and that is why planting got going here on a limited basis. The belt that got the 20 inches of wet snow must really be wet....wet and cold too. So much early stuff got replanted last year that virtually no one put anything in before now.

Gave me a chance today to rest the muscles....I can see why guys go to center fill on the big planters...but this way I got into 24 rows  on the cheap, and my aching back will feel better in a day or so. My son lifts weights at school and his dad fills the planter during the day...go figure.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Senior Contributor
Mike M2692830

I'm thinking we have to get that 80+ day with wind on Tuesday to get a lot of this ground ready to go. Even then there will be spots we plant that we won't be proud of. With that said, my fear is I won't have the patience to wait the extra day it takes to make it better. If Sunday nights forecast would take out rain for a week, we could be in pretty good shape in a week. JMTCW.....MikeM
Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Hey Mike, May 17th we get a little over  1" according to accuweather. But there is water seeping out of the hillsides in places, I don`t like to see that. We just need to get lucky and dodge the raindrops on wed and thurs next week.

Frequent Contributor
waynr

Red steele...what area of country are you in?....im in ecil and we have nothing planted...average year were done with corn and 75% done on soy
Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

Guys, slow down. Muddying it in is for retards.

However, we have had a dry strength here in Ontario... I am 75% done corn and am waiting on municipl bio solids. I will plant sous while I wait

Looks like she turns cold cold cold next week.. Maybe I'm headed for replanted acres w the cold and water?
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Dang Red - that sounds like you had some fun !   But some pictures would have been nice -- lol Hope it gets better for you !!!

89 ----- WTF here ???? retards ?????????????  That was not nice !!!  I think it's called Mentally Challenged today --- LOL   Wonder what retard come up with that one ? lol