Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Pollination worries

So, anybody seeing this in your fields? How much do you reckon this could affect yield potential & prices?

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
-----------------------------------------------
Senior Contributor
hanktbd

Re: Pollination worries

Jeff, Our corn that was trying to pollinate during that hot, dry week is missing some kernals in the lower half. In our area, that was likely near half the corn fields. Probably not enough to hurt the yield most places though, since the top half of the ears seem to have pollinated very well. Maybe just a bit less tip back to make up for the missing kernals on the lower ear portion.

Veteran Contributor
aaron-neill

I posted about some ear issues, mostly tip back an zipper ears.  There are some ears that have scattered pollination with no insect damage.  Most is toward the but of the ear from what I noticed.  Our sweet corn which doesn't have the agronomics has been where pollination has suffered the most. 

@cfarms76
Senior Contributor
NDf

Jeff I tryed to tell some friends who were feeling better since its dry the other night that barely getting 70 for a high and lows below 50 wasn't good at pollination they thought I was just a worry wart.. While its better than 100 deagres its far from ideal.  IMO maxing out at 86 and lows in the 60's is Ideal after all you need a certain amount  GDD's to finish.