Veteran Contributor
DW11

Prime corn belt weather woes

This image from the National Weather Service shows most of the best producing ground in the corn belt has not received good moisture over the last 30 days.  Good ground hangs on better than marginal land under moisture stress, but it is hurting nonetheless.  Wet early, delayed planting, extreme heat and now drought.  If we can hold onto 150 an acre for corn, it would be an accomplishment. 

http://water.weather.gov/precip/index.php?yday=1313409600&yday_analysis=0&layer%5B%5D=0&layer%5B%5D=...

Advisor
nwobcw

Re: Prime corn belt weather woes

It looks accurate from my sliver of the pie. 

Veteran Contributor
sonoma72

seems to be a lot of area in the "data missing" category, including mine.

Advisor
idalivered

Mike M. and I (and niafarmer) live in the red area along the minnesota border in the middle of iowa. I was told that we haven't had significant rains since july 14. N ia farmer was right that we had very good prospects up until late july, but the heat and dry has taken it's toll on the corn. we won't get skunked, but our string of 180-210's is unlikely.Take 25% off? Maybe?  I was in some soys yesterday afternoon that still had good potential. it did rain here nicely , last night. For about 45 seconds.....

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

I am not far from Idalivered and he is right this crop isn't a loss but it isn't a bin buster. I start openeing up fields for guys to chop from today. That will tell me a lot.

Senior Contributor
jec22

Jr, make sure you take a strip from the inside of the field.  Then we will have a handle on the 'outside rows' are way the best. 

Anyone who took care of livestock during July deserves more of the marketing pie.  Instead of dumping government direct payments on grain farmers that don't need them, the money would be better spent giving a grain buying subsidy to the small livestock producers. 

So. IA