Senior Contributor
teaspoon73

Pro farmer tour, cherry picking

The current tour going on, cherry picked their sights in S. Dak. Not very many of their sights listed where visited in previous years.  In fact if their tour last year took this years route, the crop last year would have been ZERO. This year an abundant amount of rain in the last 40 days have left this 4 county area with water standing in the ditches and the wheat harvest 40 days behind normal. At least in S. Dak. They cherry picked their stops. This is a set up tour. They might just skip SE Minn, N Iowa and central Wisc. Call it the Pro farmer money tour.

Frequent Contributor
cyclonegrain

Re: Pro farmer tour, cherry picking

Absolutely! How dare anybody put up anything that isn't bullish!?  The truth is, it is hard to find many beans in SD and the corn is the best many can remember.  Just because you haven't marketed anything and are trying to do what you wish you would have done last year quit being a whiner?!!!

Senior Contributor
teaspoon73

Not so little whirlwind, My corn is sold at 6.28, more than I have, and half of beans mkted. But for a comprehensive apples to apples tour average you go to the same counties every year. If you had taken any econ calc. classes at po dunk i state you would know that?

Senior Contributor
IllinoisSteve

Good grief! Will everybody quit whining about what the PFT does or does not do? It doesn't mean jack squat either way. I for the life of me don't know why so many people waste so much time crying about PF. They are an individual company that can do or say whatever they want. If they were putting out super bullish numbers you all would be praising them and taking their word as gospel. Do you seriously think they should have gone to a zeroed out area last year and reported a zero yield for South Dakota? They probably chose a different area to get an idea of potential where there was some corn.
Contributor
waltrip92

So the world is to believe what someone says even if is not consistant with how

scientific  works are done .

I believe thats how we got the global warming deal going .

Now  to be honest, when I am checking  , I don't go a 1/2 mile

away from where I looked last year to check yield .

Yes I agree they are a private company and can do as they wish

but there credabilty  should suffer at some  point .

Yet the traders by the lake who cant tell corn from wheat

seem to take the USDA and these rough tours ( IE cherry pick)

as gospel . So yes I think some of the numbers get massaged

up and some down . But most are pushed up because thats what is precieved as

better in the world  even if not totally good solid information.

Like the commercials faster is better, bigger is better.

The world precieves this for most everything ,but it doesn't always make it true .

Will there be a huge crop NO but there will great areas and some really poor areas .

You have unusual year somewhat reversed to last which was a short year.

Really unusual year are either super big or lower than average.

So believe what you will ,I take it all with a grain of salt.

JB

Senior Contributor
IllinoisSteve

Again, they can say and do anything they want as long as it is within the scope of the law and isn't libelous.  As far as what the trade believes or who they listen to at this time of year who cares?  Were any of you planning to sell corn this week?  I doubt it.  Next week the trade will be back to focusing on weather and the tour will be forgotten.  It won't be all that long and harvest results will start rolling in.  The ProFarmer Tour is little more than entertainment.  Traders don't put near as much stock in it as some seem to believe.  If you all don't like it I suggest you find some sponsors and start your own tour next year.  You could require that they only report bullish news.  Seriously though their methodology might not be the best but it doesn't have to be.  It really doesn't matter.  It's just entertainment.

Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Quote from IL Steve :  It really doesn't matter.  It's just entertainment  ---- Just shaken my head here - next thing you will post that Pro Wrestling is ONLY entertainment too !!!!!!!!!!

Like to see you tell that  to Stone Cold --------- oh yeah -- lmao

good posts

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

[ Edited ]

"It's only entertainment"    BTW, It also changes our bottom lines when the traders believe their numbers.  Of course if PF didn't get the press, somebody else would, so it really doesn't matter.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Senior Contributor
IllinoisSteve

It only changes your bottom line for a day or two!  When everything washes out at or after harvest PFT is even more irrelevant than it is now.  They can't change reality by reporting something that is incorrect.  Relax people.  It is truly only entertainment.

Senior Contributor
farmer46

I think Pro Farmer Tour last year was about 10.5 billion and about 120 yield on corn. I don't think that was off too much.  Some states were high and some low.