Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Propane

Anybody hearing anything about a propane shortage?  Rumor going around that MN is getting short on LP - already - and we have a long way to go yet.

Took a drive over to Hastings today.  A fair number of soybeans still in the field - just a rough guess but maybe 10%+.

Jen

Advisor
farmerguy89

Re: Propane

I heard a supplier for a guy run out. What's goin on?
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Yeah, that's why I'm asking to see if anyone else was having problems yet.  Sounds like the terminals are getting low - we were told to keep our tank filled.

Jen

Frequent Contributor
NateWCMN

[ Edited ]

Yes, propane is short in WCMN.  Local coop just bumped drying cost half a cent a point to cover increased transportation cost.  Apparently they are having to go quite a distance to haul it in.  Spot price is up about 35 cents from what I have heard.  Would be worse if the corn was decent - a lot of disappointing whole field yields and low test weights.

Here is a short article: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/10/24/business/corn-harvest-behind

Senior Contributor
crophugger

local coop here got a load out of Kansas today. As for yields not much to brag about here 107, 123, 142, 145, 152 moisture in the 20% range or a little higher. pivots are gonna be good but wet yet.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Is it time to go long LP?
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Remember I talked about the possibility of us being short on propane a month or so ago, when I was looking at buying NG because of how much was going to be used this fall drying corn.  Propane is no longer traded on the futures market.  Best you can do is have tanks full or have prebought it from your local dealer.  Right now uses are going to be at the mercy of the distributers.

Local Coop in Central WI - with you own tank - is $1.51, but they said they were going to be going up.  I used to have a really good website where I could check the prices over there at the different depots, but I can't find it right now.

It's a bit funny - one of the investments I made was in a limited publically traded partnership - with Kinder Morgan Energy - the pipeline company that quit delivering propane to SW MN and switched the pipeline over to crude from the Canadian oil shale fields.  So I guess I'm partly to blame for the lack of propane you guys are seeing.  Sorry....

Jen