Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
sw363535

RSCC------- Ray Jenkins?

Ray, 

I got some papers from the ethanol rep from RSCC-- promoting a signature.

I think it has to do with product going to europe and they are asking the producers to sign up for this organization.

Is this something that is going to be mandatory?    Are you familiar with it??

sw
Advisor
rayjenkins

Re: RSCC------- Ray Jenkins?

I am not familiar with RSCC.......but from what you have said, you are likely being asked to sign off on a land use policy statement so the plant's ethanol can be exported to the EU......am I close??

Advisor
c-x-1

read the fine print....

Senior Advisor
sw363535

yes that is about it.  Left the paper work in the office.  But the signature page make it sound like we are joining an organization that promotes good farming practices.  Except for the final sentence that says by signing the producer is agreeing to allow RSCC auditors, or their appointed representatives to verify on location that the crops are produced according to RSCC's rules.

We searched their website and saw there were actually 35 pages of recommended rules.  Haven't had much time to read through it.

Was promoted to us as "most of our guys are signing it" -------------- but he couldn't answer many questions. 

sw
Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Nothing like signing control and your rights away for what real gain?
60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Advisor
sw363535

First thing our guys said.  "I suppose this international organization will ask the US Government to stand in as the auditor on their behalf."

Our decision not to sign was made fairly early and we will read the 35 pages of PC crop production details at our leasure.

But the way it was presented------------ A lot of papers will be signed as "a good thing to agree to"

We are lucky enough to have lots of marketing choices.  Could be an problem in other areas.

Maybe europe needs to buy their ethanol in Brazil and get those farmers to verify they haven't broken out native grass or used unsustainable farming practices.

sw
Senior Contributor
teaspoon73

Ray is correct, to be an exporter to the EU with ethanol, you must prove your producers aren't destroying rainforests or employing child labor. There is a private organization that checks a very small percentage of the signatures to verify them. More of a drive by issue.  Nothing with the US gov't.  It is unlikely your ethanol plant will export any ethanol to the EU soon, as they have imposed a stiff import duty on ethanol from the US, making exporting to them unlikeliy. Another roadblock to free trade with the EU. However Brazil will increase its ethanol in its gas back to 25% in May. 

Senior Advisor
sw363535

Thanks,

Acording to our ethanol "rep" we are sending unitrain loads to europe but I think you are right it will probably be a short term deal.

sw
Senior Contributor
teaspoon73

The Import duties where imposed at the end of last year, Dec 2012. The RFA has filed a protest and a hearing will be held in front of the WTO, sometime this year. The duties come to about 90 cents per gallon, landed.

Senior Contributor
Slim123

I signed one those two years ago for my local plant.