Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Rain now is Immaterial

Ill. Steve,

NO,

first you need a 15 Billion USDA forecast.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
IllinoisSteve

Well it probably won't be too long before we get that either!  One is just as ridiculous as the other.

Contributor
westnefarmer

Back in January the swing acres for this huge crop were going to be in North Dakota as all the farmers there were going to throw their muli crop rotations out the window and plant all corn. At least that is what the USDA said. 98% of all the corn seed purchased was returned in that state. The local pinto bean dealers have backed off their estimate for that crop by 1/3 for the entire U.S. as North Dakota didn't get those planted either...The last 3 days in western nebraska have seen highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's...Those temps don't make a crop! The corn belt put most of the corn in the ground under stressed circumstances and my experience is that when you start out with a below average start that you never end up with a bumper crop. The higher ups at monsanto estimate  that corn seed sales over the entire country will not exceed  92 million acres and the gap of planted acres to harvested acres will be the largest gap in history...When farmers stand on national tv programs and say they are short of rain and are behind in maturity how can the markets keep going down? Like my old high school football coach use to say, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken **bleep**"!

Senior Contributor
elcheapo

Jenny you need to take phlebitis seriously.

there are frost advisory out for far northern
MN and far Northeast sd

Yes the gdd is going to become a concern.
Dusted off my ole crop science books
And reviewed.

I think some of the showers (more I didn't say rain), will help.....but a long ways from
Record or trendline.

Take care of yourself, and watch some
Movies you enjoy or some good books
You haven't got to.

anything NOT associated with agriculture.

Contributor
Vailcat

Agree with OP 100 percent.

Yes can't believe in long term models too much but they always get general trend close. The general trend is so obvious here it's hard to dismiss. I look out everyday in my 7-10 and its more of the same 72,74,73,76,74. I don't need rain I need heat. Hrsw was going to start August 14th I figured. Have pushed back to 25 or more than likely 1st September it looks like. Nothing has changed here except me into sweatshirts. NcNd
Advisor
idalivered

jenny, the real sleeper here could be the nc or jan.soybean market. we all know this corn crop is going to be adequate, right?? But.... 10's of thousands of acres of soys all over mn, ia, sd, wisc, that got planted late. I have some great looking beans, IF it was june 25th. If they triple in height, they will still be barely hip tall. The areas of iowa and minnesota that did get corn planted early still struggled to mud in beans until july 4th. My last field went in June 28.  They have to make 30 before they can make 40.  60 bpa went out the window about june 5th. NO one will spray any fungicide on these and I've talked to people that said no aphid spraying 'cause it's a crop insurance claim anyway. I'm not talking 6 counties in iowa and 8 in minnesota. this is  region-wide.

Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Idalivered, I totally agree. Here at my farm in central WI, the beans are the worse I have ever seen. They don't seem to want to grow. They are now 5 trifoliates, started to bloom mid week last week, and are still just over ankle high. And it's like that everywhere here. On my trips back and forth to MN, there are nicer fields, yes. But I have yet to see a field up here that is canopied. The beans here were two weeks late flowering, and these were the beans that got planted when they could. Lots of other farmers have commented on the beans over the past few weeks. Saying they look like crap. I agree. I don't think anything here is going to make anything, but that's not anything different than I said right from the start.

Jen