Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
ECIN

Really Surprized

Morning everybody !

Boy things broke lose yesterday around here !  Smoke wagons going down the road -- AND they are putting it on , for the most part --what I saw , it was going on good .

As for me -- Got  a call to do some burn down west of me , this is heavier type dirt than mine , just a few clay hills was - Alittle soft , BUT the lower black dirt was great , dust was flying .

This is what surprized me ! With all the snow and rain we had this winter -- the subsoil must still be pretty dry to suck up that kind of mositure .

Will see what next week brings , calling for RAIN just about everyday with temps in the mid 60's to low 70's .

Be Safe !

Ken  

Community Manager
marketeye

Re: Really Surprized

ECIN,

As you or anyone else heads to the field, I wonder what the market is telling you to do? Do you prepare to plant the same amount of corn that you planned, a little more, a lot more, or a lot less? When you do get on that tractor, where are you going, what field are you heading to and what are you preparing to do? Separately, some alfalfa being planted in central and southwest Iowa this past week.

What is the market telling you to do?

Thanks,

Mike

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

[ Edited ]

Mike,  The market is telling farmers  to "pull in their bootstraps"  and spend less money.   Does that mean planting less corn than they  had planned?    Maybe for some.....especially on that marginal land.   Maybe guys in the west will wait on rain before planting corn and if the rains don't come, plant something else,  or nothing at all.   Can you get claim prevented planting during a drought?  As for me here in NW Ohio, nothing has changed planting intentions-wise, but the markets have sure changed my spending plans.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Senior Contributor
SouthWestOhio

Keeping the rotation but cutting back on nutients. After pulling off below average yields the past two years I've adjusted my p&K and N downward. Is saviing me $40-$50 an acre. The unused nutrients from prior years should still be there to take up the slack. If prices hadn't tumbled I would have just gone with the full dose.

Senior Contributor
Buckley_HF

ECIN, I gotta agree with you. After running gas full steam for two straight days I'm extremely surprised and kind of worried how dry it's gotten here in ECIL. And we are supposedly out of the drought. Tiles are barely trickling. I hope we catch a good 2" next week, although the 15 day looks to cold to even think about planting.
Tiger, I couldn't agree more with your statement. The main thing market has told our operation as well is tighten those purse strings! For awhile that is. Lets see how this market plays out over next 3 months...
Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Mike, the market is telling us that it doesn't need every last acre planted to corn. Most everybody seems to be sticking with their rotations here. I bought all my fertilizer last fall so Im not changing anything there. I already cut back a little on inputs since the last 2 growing seasons have been pretty tough. Its seems as though there was a farmer in every other field today, lots of tillage and fertilizer applications. I have yet to see a planter out of the shed, let alone out in the field. Cool temps and rain will keep planters parked for another week or two.

Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

All my inputs are per my agronomist's recommendation.  Not changing anything from my original plan, keeping the same rotation.  I don't really plan my operation according to the markets, I can't change the market so I don't let it change me.

Senior Advisor
ECIN

[ Edited ]

As far as me -- Nothing will change as  far as crops -- about 50 / 50 -- corn beans .

What the market is telling me -- is really nothing --- other than they trade the USDA number , I'm not be'n' a smartazz here . They are give'n' a set of numders and thats what they start with .

The point is that do we as farmers --really think that a number like 164 bpa can be made this year ? Maybe the I tats may --- may -- have a shot at it and to me that may be a BIG maybe . Yesterday I got 4 or 5 calls , the first thing they said is --- can you beleive how dry it is ??  They are working the gravel as well as the high ground .

I don't mean this bad for anybody -- BUT everybody I talked to said --- IF we are this dry to start with - after all the mositure we had got ---- What about the guy's that have NOT got any moisture ??

How will that dog hunt ?

I not hitting the panic button here , but to me it could be a long summer in some parts of the country  .

my documtims 464.jpg