Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
jec22

Replant in the south?

First picture I have seen.   If you plant acres twice the USDA might get to 100 mi acres on corn Thurs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/spring-freezing-is-ruining-crops-again-2013-3

So. IA
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Re: Replant in the south?

Jec22,  Would an Iowa farmer replant it or give it a week to shoot a new leaf??

sw
Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Sounds like they are as worried about the winter wheat as they are the corn.  At least with corn you have the option of a replant.

Senior Contributor
jec22

sw.,    it would depend on the date on the calendar, weather forecasts and soil conditions.  When you have to make a decision like that, it is invaluable to have someone else's brain to pick that you trust.  I believe you don't have to know everything, you just have to know people who do.

But, that said, it would be hard for me to sit back and wait and not replant  looking at that picture.  So much of yield is determined by a good stand and healthy plant.  I just don't know enough about how much a three week later planting date affects yields in the southern US.

So. IA
Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

[ Edited ]

jec22,

The primary factor of a 3-4 wk delay is how it will not be as available in Aug as mkt was previously counting on. 

what a difference a few days makes in the south - the center of the GROWING universe currently.

The central Tx wheat looks like that, too.....or about 5% of tot US planted......pretty dry in Tx corn area, the article ECIN sent me made sense.......so freeze down in soil = replant.

it'll be an innersting rest of the year.

Veteran Contributor
llakmf

I guess I could not count, but I thought I counted five leaves on the plant. If so it is beyond the kernal growing point and therefore the plant is dead. Either replant or get the insurance payment that is it.

Senior Advisor
ECIN

I was haveing a pretty good day till I just looked at that photo !!!!!!!!!!  That would make me sick if it was mine .

I have seen a lot of frosted corn , but have never seen any that just fell over at mid point like that in the photo .

There are a million factors that could or could not kill the corn , But I sure saw two bad signs there , first off , soil moisture plays a roll , the wetter the dirt the better , as dry dirt will cool off quicker and deeper IF it freeze's , then look at the photo and look at them big cracks in the gound , heck there is a channel for the cold air to go in and freeze the dirt OR seed .

This is a very bad looking deal here , As dry as it looks and you rip it out and start over , You all know how quick the dirt will dry out , will there be enough moisture to start over = sprout the newer crop -- will it be a half azz  stand ? OR do you wait and see what happens with what you have ?? Bet's the chit out of me .

But I will say in my part of the woods , I would be replanting today = I think it's screwed  BUT that ONLY my opinion------ And from what my wife tells me sometimes --- My opinion is not worth a chit --- LOL  

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

ECIN,

it's dry in Tx. rest of southern states will have better luck with re-emergence.

also, is it time to step in, you know, take over for marketeye today?

Senior Advisor
ECIN

c-x-1 --- If you remember -- I did that once --- about a month or so ago --- Just out of the goodness of my heart ! AND then Marketeye -- the same as told me to go play in the street !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't know how much that hurt !!!!!!!!!!!! It was like going to the dentist and getting shots in the roof of the mouth  ! So he's on his own , No need me wasteing my be nice and help on somebody out  that thanks me his way !!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah ---- LMAO

Advisor
Faust100F

That is the scam down there, now they can file for crop insurance and then go to the better option than corn . . . Cotton.   If they planted after March 15th, Fed Crop will pay for the replant.  I guess the kicker here, is did they or did they not apply chemicals that would kill a subsequent crop like cotton.    

These guys in the South have more replant than any other part of the country.   In 45 years of farming I only replanted one field, and that was a corn field, I collected on and came back in with soybeans.  You boys up North just do not know how to play the replant game like they do in the South.   LMAO!    John