Advisor

River Down, Barge Freight Up, Basis Widens

Low Mississippi and Ohio River levels are causing barge rates to go up and basis to widen, according to Reuters.  It's at the worst time of year, as soybean are getting shipment priority and corn goes into storage where it is available.

Typically, we can sell beans into river close and get a price bump, but a wider basis will eat at what we used to see as a help to Roy Smith's Dead Cat Bounce.

Veteran Contributor

Re: River Down, Barge Freight Up, Basis Widens

a dry summer = low water in the river ....do you think the dry weather has affected yield ?

Veteran Advisor

quiet farm that's a trade secret  Smiley Wink

Advisor

SF had an article this morning by an analyst that says yields are doing - I think the phrase is - "better than expected".  We'll have to see.

Honored Advisor

"Better than expected" one very worthlessness phase in describing this year's crop.

Means almost nothing. 

Now better than APH, better than last year, best ever, might mean something.

Middle of Aug I was looking at no rain for 45 days in the hottest months. My expectations were very minimal, it is going to" better than expected" what the hell does that mean? Still going to be a very disappointing harvest considering  it's appearance and potential July one. 

BUT" ITS BETTER THAN EXPECTED"  

Veteran Advisor

0 expected
Yeild 1 but
Better than expected.. yes
Amounts to a dang...no
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Start loading the barges, we're doing all we can to send some water from here in SWMN.