Satellite image of drought

This satellite image confirms the extent of the issue----------------------

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=78553&src=imgrss

sw
Advisor
c-x-1

Re: Satellite image of drought

glad you saw it, sw!

do you see what i see - that @ least 40% if not 50% is brown. final harvested ac might be alot less than 85m

c-x-1

Advisor
WCMO

Drought Percentile Ranking

[ Edited ]

Here's another interesting image --

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/regional_monitoring/rpd07drs.gif

Shows percentile ranking of current drought relative to historical data -- data since 1895!

Added comment from a news article just read -- "7 of the 18 top corn producing states have worse Palmer Drought ratings as of the end of June 2012 than in 1988 and this includes CO, IL, IN, KS, MO, NE, and TX."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Drought Percentile Ranking

Maybe the traders are looking at these too? Just sold a load of oc corn for $8.09 cash local price. +20 basis.  Kind of glad I have that non expert 4 point marketing scheme.

Just had my crop insurance agent stop and give me his condolances for this years crop problems. After he was done I showed him moist dirt and 6 to 7 ft suckers in the corn field.

He said I was the only one that could do that.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Advisor
WCMO

[ Edited ]

Hobby - Noticed your earlier comment on the suckers somewhere -- at least I think it was in one of your comments.

I saw alot of suckers fairly early in my corn this year.  Have seen that the suckers later in the season can give a quick indication of how the corn is doing -- in a good year, the suckers put small productive ears where the tassel would be -- this year, the suckers have either nothing at all, or an already dried up cob!

Walked into a couple of fields on Sunday -- in some good dirt in one field, had approximately 1 small ear for every 10 stalks -- just didn't put on ears.  Of course, there's good areas and bad areas.  It's really difficult to get a decent handle on what the corn might yield due to the variation within the fields.  Plus, corn in this area is anything from soft dough to black layer to toasted -- rain won't help much anymore, and the heat is making it die too quickly for decent kernal size or test weight.  What does look fairly good from the road, doesn't look so good when you walk thru it.

Just noticed this cartoon link from one of Caldwell's reports --

http://www.agriculture.com/successful-farming/dog-days-roll-around-in-cn-time_119-sl25170

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln
Advisor
c-x-1

WCMO,

thx for that % rank map - really brings it home what an historical time we're in!

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Sobering information.

sw
Advisor
nwobcw

Re: Satellite image of drought

The map is surprisingly accurate from what I know conditions to be in my area of NWC Ohio.  The Maumee river roughly seperates the OK from the bad.