Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

Selling Wet, Hot Corn

My corn went in the bin wet and didn't dry well.  That's one reason it's nearly all gone.  Some I sold way wet and some got dried down but didn't have the quality I liked.

Anyway, I've heard of a lot of wet corn going to market.  When the weather warms up this spring will you be checking your bins or running the planter?

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Selling Wet, Hot Corn

JIM ... Yes both (if there is any left)

Mine seems to be in the best shape of the last three years this year.

Going to be coreing them probably within the week.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Running bins about 10 hours every 10-14 days when weather cooperates to keep things chilled but not frozen

When it warms up will probably run em wide open for a week or better

Will core everything before spring

Think we are ahead of everything except one bin. It's not bad but seems to have a bit of heat and moisture every time the fans are fired up. Ran it for a few days last go around so maybe it's in a better place

Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

I chill all my grain in storage. Had some that went in the bin at 14.5-16. Hauled a load out of that bin the other day they said was 17. Does corn condinsate when hauled in warm humid weather after being chilled? Last time I put air to it air temp coming out the top was 22. The unloading auger is about worn out and it takes about an hour to get 575 bushel out. The day the moisture was up it was 55 and high humidity.
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Froze mine hard

Has always except for last year worked to drop the last 3 to 5% too much moisture out of the corn. (last year it dropped the moisture out but the corn just was not right and still would heat).

I have found that for me at least a 2 hp fan /12,000 bu bin exhausting will do better than a 5-7.5hp blowing air though a bin. No condensation on the roof etc. to run down the sides and to get in trouble later.

I usually get a final moisture level around 15% + or - 3/4%.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Buck: turn the fan around and suck the air through. Just make sure you have adequate venting for the roof.

Pushing air through will always give you a higher moisture reading on the first few loads after it has sat a day or two.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Buck. Your corn sweat and likely had surface moisture that crept on the elevator tester. Also the corn probably was cool and could have effected the reading too a bit. Supposed to let it warm a bit when they sample it but I doubt they did

Also. You might have had some moisture migrate to the center. Which is why we are running every 10-14 days. To punch that core migration out

That's the reason I don't freeze our corn. Cool it way down but not freeze

Also try to run fans non stop once we start filling a bin until it's full. Helps reduce any preferential flow issues

Sounds like hobby likes low HP. I want power and shallow layers. Have fans on every bin that will pop the roof sheets even when full and have roof vents all the way around to boot. Clear full we can still get 1.5 cfm plus thru it
Senior Advisor
ECIN

This is just me talking out loud here - But if I had wet corn ( 17 or so ) comeing out now- it woud be gone by spring - - I run mine threw a dryer and then cool in bin - so I do it different than some -

Buck as MT and hobby has said - many thinggs can and will go wrong - it could have been as simple as mositure in the probe at the elevator when they tested it .

I'm more on the same page as MT here - Lots of air will save a lot of problems down the road - I have 3-- 36 footers with 2 - 20hp fans on each and one with a 10 hp fan - I use this one mainly for beans and it sucks compared to  the 20's , 

Advisor
rayjenkins

25%+ of corn coming in is over 16%...and averaging 17%+

lot of corn that needs to move prior to spring per your comment

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

[ Edited ]

If there is a good fan on the bin, 16-17% corn can still be air dried and kept thru the summer.   All you have to do is hit the switch on the fan.........a little more often than usual.   I have done this many times and pulled dry corn out of the bins in August.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"